Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:59 AM   #1
Freshmixture
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Freshmixture Send a message via Yahoo to Freshmixture
Access Airport Extreme router settings over internet

I 've owned a Netgear and a D-Link route before and with those, you could access all your router settings and statuses over the internet

The Login would usuallly be the ip address and the password would be one of your choice.

I can't seem to find any settings to enable this on my Airport Extreme.....any ideas?

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Freshmixture (Doug)
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:59 AM   #2
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmixture View Post
I 've owned a Netgear and a D-Link route before and with those, you could access all your router settings and statuses over the internet

The Login would usuallly be the ip address and the password would be one of your choice.

I can't seem to find any settings to enable this on my Airport Extreme.....any ideas?

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Freshmixture (Doug)
What do you mean "over the internet"? Do you mean that the Netgear and D-Link routers are accessed using a web browser, or that you can access it from a remote location by logging in through the internet?

Either way, I don't think you can do that with an AEBS. To access the AEBS, you need to use the Airport Utility application. I have never seen any settings to allow access from a remote location. Nor have I seen any way to access it from a browser.

As for accessing it from a remote location (if that's what you want to do), I don't think that's such a good idea. Routers typically have to "reboot" to get settings changed ... wouldn't that knock you off the connection if you're remote? It would seem like a hassle to do it that way. Also, it's probably a security issue ... but the likelyhood that someone hacks your network is probably small anyways.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Full of Win
Banned

...in theory, you could used Remote Desktop to control a mac on the network that you want to configure. For example, say your mom has an Airport router with her Mac Mini that needs to be altered; in theory, you could use a Remote Desktop on your computer to access her computer and configure the router that way.
Full of Win is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals