Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freshmixture

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Coeur d Alene, ID
I 've owned a Netgear and a D-Link route before and with those, you could access all your router settings and statuses over the internet

The Login would usuallly be the ip address and the password would be one of your choice.

I can't seem to find any settings to enable this on my Airport Extreme.....any ideas?

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Freshmixture (Doug)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I 've owned a Netgear and a D-Link route before and with those, you could access all your router settings and statuses over the internet

The Login would usuallly be the ip address and the password would be one of your choice.

I can't seem to find any settings to enable this on my Airport Extreme.....any ideas?

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Freshmixture (Doug)
What do you mean "over the internet"? Do you mean that the Netgear and D-Link routers are accessed using a web browser, or that you can access it from a remote location by logging in through the internet?

Either way, I don't think you can do that with an AEBS. To access the AEBS, you need to use the Airport Utility application. I have never seen any settings to allow access from a remote location. Nor have I seen any way to access it from a browser.

As for accessing it from a remote location (if that's what you want to do), I don't think that's such a good idea. Routers typically have to "reboot" to get settings changed ... wouldn't that knock you off the connection if you're remote? It would seem like a hassle to do it that way. Also, it's probably a security issue ... but the likelyhood that someone hacks your network is probably small anyways.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
...in theory, you could used Remote Desktop to control a mac on the network that you want to configure. For example, say your mom has an Airport router with her Mac Mini that needs to be altered; in theory, you could use a Remote Desktop on your computer to access her computer and configure the router that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.