Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guywhoisweird

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
I reinstalled SL because I got a nasty fsck problem (it was my fault, I shut it off mid-boot). I backed up the data via superduper to an external hard drive. After I reinstalled SL I used Migration Assistant to get the data back.

Everything looked ok until I checked the "About This Mac" section. It says Processor "2.8 GHz Unknown". I bought the 27" quad core. I don't think it's supposed to say that. To check, I booted into the external. The external said that the processor was "2.8 GHz i7", or something like that.

What's going on here? why is it not working?

Also, I have another question - my iMac takes a long time to boot. It won't show the apple on the grey screen for at least half a minute.

Any help would be appreciated.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Where did you get the SL to re-install from? It sounds like you have an older version that shipped with the i7 machines...

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
isn't it supposed to be a slow boot when booting from a external drive instead of the internal drive??

at least i think i saw something written in some other thread.

guywhoisweird

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
i reinstalled SL with the retail disk because I left the install disks at home (i'm in college so i didn't take it because I didn't think I needed it). I put my imac into target disk mode and installed 10.6.0 onto it then booted into it through my macbook pro and updated it to 10.6.2. I then booted into it correctly through the imac and ran software update again. It now says that there are no updates.

i was thinking that if there is no quicker solution i could use superduper to copy the external hd onto the imac hd. would that fix the problem?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
i reinstalled SL with the retail disk because I left the install disks at home (i'm in college so i didn't take it because I didn't think I needed it). I put my imac into target disk mode and installed 10.6.0 onto it then booted into it through my macbook pro and updated it to 10.6.2. I then booted into it correctly through the imac and ran software update again. It now says that there are no updates.

i was thinking that if there is no quicker solution i could use superduper to copy the external hd onto the imac hd. would that fix the problem?

You need to use the install DVD that came with the Mac: that contains later platform drivers than are on the retail DVD or software update.

guywhoisweird

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
I see, I'll get the bundled install dvd from home the next time I go back.

That answers one of my questions, but what about the other. Why is it slow to boot up? It's not booting from an external. I'd almost say it's faster when it's doing that. I unplugged everything from my iMac and then turned it on but it still had the same problem.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate

That answers one of my questions, but what about the other. Why is it slow to boot up? It's not booting from an external. I'd almost say it's faster when it's doing that. I unplugged everything from my iMac and then turned it on but it still had the same problem.

Quite possibly the same issue: it may be trying to find kext files for hardware that are not present. These searches take a long time...

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007

After the reinstall did you verify and repair permissions?

guywhoisweird

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
After the reinstall did you verify and repair permissions?

already done but the problem still didn't go away.

robbieduncan's replies really should be correct. after all, i did install SL using the retail (read: older) dvd. i'll just wait until i go home to get the correct dvd and fix this problem.

mtc595

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
IL.
If I understand you correctly, you installed SL on your iMac while it was in target disk mode using your MacbookPro?

If so, the installer made hardware decisions based on your MBP config and not your iMac. You essentially used your iMac HD as an external HD for your MBP.

You need to be running the install DVD in the iMac. I don't think you can use target disk mode for anything but getting files on and off the iMac HD.

Mike

guywhoisweird

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
i fixed the problem by using superduper to smart update the imac hard drive. thanks for the help everybody!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.