Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

datfk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I know this is everywhere, but my case is different. I had problems with my lockscreen which never turned off. I went to another forum and asked for tips, they said to Reset All settings (not erase all content). I did that, and guess what, it is stuck in the apple logo and sometimes with the spinning wheel. Now I CANNOT go into DFU mode because I do not have a backup of anything and if I restore im screwed and all my apps, contact, etc. will go away. I have access to the iPhone system folders (iFunbox, diskaid, etc.) Please help I am stuck with no phone...

DPA

macrumors 65816
When was the last time you backed up before you Reset All Settings? If you backed up recently and didn't make any major changes between the backup and this issue you won't lose much.

DPA

P.S. - I know you mentioned you do not have any backups. Do you have any media/data from the iPhone on your computer that you could re-sync with?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
When was the last time you backed up before you Reset All Settings? If you backed up recently and didn't make any major changes between the backup and this issue you won't lose much.

DPA

P.S. - I know you mentioned you do not have any backups. Do you have any media/data from the iPhone on your computer that you could re-sync with?

He said he didn't have a backup of anything, so that implies that he doesn't have a backup in iTunes (seems implausible), but especially he doesn't have backups of pics, music, etc., since those aren't in a iPhone backup.

Moral of the story: Make backups and backups of backups or live life on the edge and face the consequences.

DPA

macrumors 65816
He said he didn't have a backup of anything, so that implies that he doesn't have a backup in iTunes (seems implausible), but especially he doesn't have backups of pics, music, etc., since those aren't in a iPhone backup.

Moral of the story: Make backups and backups of backups or live life on the edge and face the consequences.

Yes, you should always have backups unless you want to have this possibly happen. I was just asking the OP if they had the media/data on the computer and could, after a Restore, re-sync that media and data back onto the iPhone. Though, you are correct that an iPhone backup does not contain any of that.

DPA

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
Now I CANNOT go into DFU mode because I do not have a backup of anything and if I restore im screwed and all my apps, contact, etc. will go away.

he said he cant because he doesnt want to lose his data, he never said he tried it and couldnt. try paying attention to what people say.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
he said he cant because he doesnt want to lose his data, he never said he tried it and couldnt. try paying attention to what people say.

That's exactly the point. He doesn't want to do a DFU restore because he doesn't want to lose his data. Why did you suggest DFU mode? Do you think he can recover his data somehow by doing this? Or were you just, for some inexplicable reason, reminding him that it's technically possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.