Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:18 AM   #1
yangyang
macrumors newbie

No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key

Firstly, I hope this is the right section to post this. Secondly, It's either I'm really blind because I didn't see any post which is related to mine? Thanks in advance.

Alright, here's what happened. I tried downloading Windows 7 on my MacBook, new user btw. I thought the installation was working until it shows a black screen stating "No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key" I pressed 'control + command + start up button' and it was back to normal until again it showed up the same black screen with what's stated in my title. I know one way is to press 'option + start up button', then I have to click Macintosh HD and it's back to normal again.

Apologies for the nags before lol. What I wanna ask is are there any ways to stop having the black screen stating "No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key" whenever I start up my MacBook? Cause I kept having the black screen stating that sentence when I turn on my Mac.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:04 AM   #2
cderalow
macrumors 6502

Location: 1.8 Miles from Montgomery Mall Apple Store (Southern Maryland)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangyang View Post
Firstly, I hope this is the right section to post this. Secondly, It's either I'm really blind because I didn't see any post which is related to mine? Thanks in advance.

Alright, here's what happened. I tried downloading Windows 7 on my MacBook, new user btw. I thought the installation was working until it shows a black screen stating "No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key" I pressed 'control + command + start up button' and it was back to normal until again it showed up the same black screen with what's stated in my title. I know one way is to press 'option + start up button', then I have to click Macintosh HD and it's back to normal again.

Apologies for the nags before lol. What I wanna ask is are there any ways to stop having the black screen stating "No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key" whenever I start up my MacBook? Cause I kept having the black screen stating that sentence when I turn on my Mac.

Thanks again.

run bootcamp and delete the attempted windows partition.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:12 AM   #3
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Also,

Choose: System Preferences > Startup Disk and select your Mac partition as the default boot disk.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:24 PM   #4
yangyang
macrumors newbie

Fixed. Million thanks .
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:11 AM   #5
jon08
macrumors 65816

Hey guys, let me borrow this thread real quick.

Yesterday I tried to install Windows 7 through bootcamp, but OS X kept ejecting the install DVD. When I tried to leave the DVD in and restart right away, I would get the gray screen (without apple) and then the black screen with the above-mentioned msg.

Although I did get back to OS X eventually, what bothers me more is that I cannot get Windows 7 to install - it's either that msg, or sometimes I just get black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner, but mostly the DVD simply gets ejected.

What the hell? There's nothing wrong with DVD - it boots fine when I inserted it in a PC, and it worked darn fine in Leopard's BootCamp.

What the hell is up with Snow Leopard, or what is it that it won't let me install Windows??
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:55 PM   #6
TheChristoph
macrumors newbie

jon08, I am experiencing the EXACT same situation, except with Windows XPSP2, not Win7. It worked in Leopard, the only thing different is that I've upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Last edited by TheChristoph; Feb 3, 2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typo
TheChristoph is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help