Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1
yangyang
macrumors newbie

No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key

Firstly, I hope this is the right section to post this. Secondly, It's either I'm really blind because I didn't see any post which is related to mine? Thanks in advance.

Alright, here's what happened. I tried downloading Windows 7 on my MacBook, new user btw. I thought the installation was working until it shows a black screen stating "No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key" I pressed 'control + command + start up button' and it was back to normal until again it showed up the same black screen with what's stated in my title. I know one way is to press 'option + start up button', then I have to click Macintosh HD and it's back to normal again.

Apologies for the nags before lol. What I wanna ask is are there any ways to stop having the black screen stating "No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key" whenever I start up my MacBook? Cause I kept having the black screen stating that sentence when I turn on my Mac.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:04 AM   #2
cderalow
macrumors 6502

Location: 1.8 Miles from Montgomery Mall Apple Store (Southern Maryland)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangyang View Post
Firstly, I hope this is the right section to post this. Secondly, It's either I'm really blind because I didn't see any post which is related to mine? Thanks in advance.

Alright, here's what happened. I tried downloading Windows 7 on my MacBook, new user btw. I thought the installation was working until it shows a black screen stating "No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key" I pressed 'control + command + start up button' and it was back to normal until again it showed up the same black screen with what's stated in my title. I know one way is to press 'option + start up button', then I have to click Macintosh HD and it's back to normal again.

Apologies for the nags before lol. What I wanna ask is are there any ways to stop having the black screen stating "No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key" whenever I start up my MacBook? Cause I kept having the black screen stating that sentence when I turn on my Mac.

Thanks again.

run bootcamp and delete the attempted windows partition.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:12 AM   #3
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Also,

Choose: System Preferences > Startup Disk and select your Mac partition as the default boot disk.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:24 PM   #4
yangyang
macrumors newbie

Fixed. Million thanks .
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:11 AM   #5
jon08
macrumors 65816

Hey guys, let me borrow this thread real quick.

Yesterday I tried to install Windows 7 through bootcamp, but OS X kept ejecting the install DVD. When I tried to leave the DVD in and restart right away, I would get the gray screen (without apple) and then the black screen with the above-mentioned msg.

Although I did get back to OS X eventually, what bothers me more is that I cannot get Windows 7 to install - it's either that msg, or sometimes I just get black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner, but mostly the DVD simply gets ejected.

What the hell? There's nothing wrong with DVD - it boots fine when I inserted it in a PC, and it worked darn fine in Leopard's BootCamp.

What the hell is up with Snow Leopard, or what is it that it won't let me install Windows??

 iPhone 6 64 GB 
jon08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:55 PM   #6
TheChristoph
macrumors newbie

jon08, I am experiencing the EXACT same situation, except with Windows XPSP2, not Win7. It worked in Leopard, the only thing different is that I've upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Last edited by TheChristoph; Feb 3, 2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: typo
TheChristoph is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help