Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's media event only a week away, research analysts are lining to offer up their predictions of what the company will introduce at the event and over the next few months. 9 to 5 Mac offers a summary of several of the reports hitting the news wires today.

The report points to analyst Ashok Kumar of Northeast Securities, who claims that Apple is preparing to launch its tablet at a price point of $600-$800 with shipment expectations of one million units by March and 400,000-500,000 units per month thereafter. Also rumored is the ability to dock with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, as well as cellular data access, likely through Verizon.

Among the most provocative of predictions comes from Richard Doherty of Envisioneering Group, who takes a longer-term view and sees four products in Apple's pipeline: two different tablet models in the 7-to-9 inch range, a gaming-focused "iPod touch on steroids" with a screen of approximately 5 inches, and a touchscreen iMac as has been recently rumored.

When it comes to the tablet, most sources are continuing to point to an ARM-based chip design from Apple's in-house P.A. Semi team, with Samsung reportedly manufacturing the chip. In particular's ARM's multi-core Cortex A9 is seen as a likely engine for many of Apple's forthcoming devices.

Another report from Shaw Wu of Kaufmann Bros. suggests that the ship date for Apple tablet may slip to June as the company works to address "minor issues" with battery life and durability. Many reports have pointing to a March or April shipping date for the device.

Meanwhile, on the iPhone front, Peter Misek of Canaccord Adams predicts that Apple will announce both iPhone OS 4.0 and that the iPhone will be coming to Verizon in mid-2010. Misek also predicts that an LTE "4G"-capable iPhone will likely not be available until a mid-2011 revision as carriers begin to build out their infrastructure, and that tiered pricing for data plans are likely in the near future.

Article Link: Analysts Weigh In Ahead of Apple Media Event

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Nooooo, don't take away our unlimited data plans on the iPhone! *sobs*

Verizon for the tablet? Kinda doubt it.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Two points I suppose:

1. While I have heard a lot of speculation of this, I hope the tablet DOES NOT come with any subsidies for a wireless carrier. I already have an iPhone and pay a boatload for service. if I had to sign up for another $40-$50 data plan for a tablet, I don't care how much it costs, I ain't buying it. Either Apple offers it, sans carrier or at least make it an option at slightly higher pricing.

2. If the iPhone does go to Verizon, it's going to take a few items for me to switch. First is ability to jailbreak the phone. If I can't jailbreak, I can't do research. This won't affect that many folks at all. Second, they need to offer a price that blows AT&T out of the water. Perhaps they can offer folks like me an upgrade from a triple play (FiOS TV/Internet and Phone) to a quadruple play including a cellular plan. Perhaps then I would think about it. :)

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
iMac touch screen is a non-starter. I, nor anyone I know, would have an use for one. This may have kiosk application, but not home use. Personal PC touchscreen is failing in sales, a technology trying to push a supposed need.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA

on the iPhone front, Peter Misek predicsts that Apple will announce both iPhone OS 4.0 and that the iPhone will be coming to Verizon in mid-2010. Misek also predicts that an LTE "4G"-capable iPhone will likely not be available until a mid-2011 revision as carriers begin to build out their infrastructure,

I'm looking forward to the Tablet, but I'm much much much more interested in the next iPhone.

Even if the "4G networks" are not going to be ready until 2011, there is still a lot more that Apple can add into iPhone hardware. For starters, a faster processor and more RAM would be the most expected upgrade by consumers. After that, a better camera with image-stabilization could be added, and likely much more while still using the 3G network.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Everyone expects this tablet will be able to do EVERYTHING. You guys do realize that this is Apple we're talking about right? The tablet is going to do what Apple wants it to do and we're all still going to buy it even if it's missing the most basic features and is locked down tight so that we have to hack it to make it do more.

Analysts do not know Apple as well as they think they do. Verizon? Hah! Yeah right.

That's all I have to say.

Come back and quote my post on the 27th if I'm wrong. Really.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
iMac touch screen is a non-starter. I, nor anyone I know, would have an use for one. This may have kiosk application, but not home use. Personal PC touchscreen is failing in sales, a technology trying to push a supposed need.

I don't think Apple would introduce this without some pretty compelling application support.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I'll repeat what others are saying, but Apple can give this away for FREE and if it is tied to a $40-$60 subsidized plan and I won't buy it.
I would rather pay Apple upfront $1000 than pay yet another subscription fee. Can't wait to see. Apple has been very smart with market analysis so far, but not sure they are right in thinking the market will embrace another data contract.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I think 5 inches is too big to be pocketable and therefore a nuisance to carry around. Maybe ~4.3 inches like the HTC HD2.

Stavros.P

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
London
so does this mean no upgrade for macbook pros?! common!!I ve been waiting for this upgrade (i was hoping for a quad ...but a dual with 4 threads will do just fine!!!) for a long long time! I love my powerbook g4..but it is time for it to step aside for some hot sexy 15" pro...when is it coming out?! Dying..money on the side waiting!!it needs to go into ur account apple!!!its dying!!!please!!!:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

geofly

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

The tethering to a Bluetooth keyboard is a likely option (in addition to a native touch keyboard). This tablet feature could also be why they've been blocking this functionality on the iPhone. I speculate the Apple BT keyboard might even fit nicely into a slot on the tablet which also acts as a handle for easy carrying...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.