Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
So says The Street.

This makes sense in some ways - presumably the tablet won't be used for voice service and it ties in Apple to another provider - but I guess that means that iPhone users can kiss goodbye the possibility of having a shared iPhone/Tablet account.

The Street says that the Tablet will still be available from Apple, but without the discount that Verizon will give for a contract.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
It would be silly to do this if you ask me. It would basically prevent anyone who is a current iPhone user from getting one. Seriously, who would want to sign up for a 2 year contract on ANOTHER service provider?

Personally, if it has any contract, I'm out. WiFi or tethering to the iPhone. It could be that the new iPhone on Verison allows for FREE tethering; where as AT&T you have to pay for. Could that be the case, it makes more sense to me.

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
It would be silly to do this if you ask me. It would basically prevent anyone who is a current iPhone user from getting one. Seriously, who would want to sign up for a 2 year contract on ANOTHER service provider?

Personally, if it has any contract, I'm out. WiFi or tethering to the iPhone. It could be that the new iPhone on Verison allows for FREE tethering; where as AT&T you have to pay for. Could that be the case, it makes more sense to me.

It would have a separate contract if it is with ATT too. Why would it prevent any current iPhone user? This is a separate contract. They aren't just going to throw in data access for another device onto your current plan.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
What this may mean, is that the Tablet can have a changeable internal card for a service provider of choice. However, I don't see an exclusive with Verizon.

Only a week until we know for sure.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm with thegoldenmackid. BTW, when these rumors don't happen can we put the sites mentioned on a list for not being credible sources?

Sure, but it would be the end of MacRumors as we know it... The rumor business is very much a "win some, lose some" deal. You should know that by now.

It honestly would not surprise me at all if the tablet is only on Verizon. However, I don't think this will be the case.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
I will wait and see but if its tied to ANY carrier, then I will be getting a tablet from someone else. This would be apple's biggest mistake to tie it to a carrier.

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
If it's made exclusive I will never buy it. I need a GSM/HSDPA module for AT&T and Tigo back home in Honduras.

This is pure speculation, but I would bet that from here on out, all iphones, tablets, rolling pins, etc... that get released will be sold unlocked.

Four Reasons...

1) You're typically bound by a contract anyway. The cell provider gets paid either way. Besides, Google just laid down the gauntlet by offering the Nexus one as unlocked (even if you buy it subsidized)

2)The trend is for more and more countries to mandate unlocked phones.

3)They must realize that load balancing across carriers is a good thing. It also promotes cheaper service, meaning more money for apps and content.

4)The impetus to jailbreak is lower if you don't need to unlock. Apple would love to have fewer people unlocking, as it risks bad reputation from vulnerabilities and perception (and some reality) of people using hacked apps.

Thoughts?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This is pure speculation, but I would bet that from here on out, all iphones, tablets, rolling pins, etc... that get released will be sold unlocked.

Four Reasons...

1) You're typically bound by a contract anyway. The cell provider gets paid either way. Besides, Google just laid down the gauntlet by offering the Nexus one as unlocked (even if you buy it subsidized)

2)The trend is for more and more countries to mandate unlocked phones.

3)They must realize that load balancing across carriers is a good thing. It also promotes cheaper service, meaning more money for apps and content.

4)The impetus to jailbreak is lower if you don't need to unlock. Apple would love to have fewer people unlocking, as it risks bad reputation from vulnerabilities and perception (and some reality) of people using hacked apps.

Thoughts?

Yes, I know everything is just speculation and rumors, but if it ends up being the case, I won't buy it, no matter how good it is.

1. Contract or not, the problem lies in the module and the service. The module needs to support the service I need, (aka HSDPA) and Verizon doesn't plain and simple.

2. Yes, I know that, but how many countries do you know with widespread CDMA networks? Not mine (Honduras).

3. True

4. Meh, jailbreaking will always occur if the device ends up being like the iPhone of closed ecosystem.

CherryJello

macrumors regular
May 30, 2009
the Macbook Touch will not have sim tray, rather it will tether via BlueTooth to your iPhone to get data (which is one reason why AT&T has been so quiet about tethering, their going to announce it alongside the MacBook Touch)

Also apart of the announcement will be a Verizon iPhone available in the Summer. This will in the long run help reduce some of the troubles AT&T is having with their data by giving a part of the burden to Verizon.

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
I'm sick of the Tablet rumors. It's only 1 more week so give it a break?

Considering this is a MacRumors message board...if you are sick of the MacRumors, it might be more productive for you to poke around in another board until the tablet is no longer a rumor than to try to get everyone here to stop talking about a MacRumor :rolleyes:

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I will wait and see but if its tied to ANY carrier, then I will be getting a tablet from someone else. This would be apple's biggest mistake to tie it to a carrier.

Exactly! If it is tied to Verizon, I'm out, 100%. If it is tied to AT&T but uses the iPhone data plan, or a minor upgrade ($5 / month) I MIGHT consider it. If you can tether it to your iPhone (AT&T or maybe Verizon) without additional fees (may be in Verizons best interest to gain customers) I'M IN!

(Must have WiFi regardless)

rayward

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Exactly! If it is tied to Verizon, I'm out, 100%. If it is tied to AT&T but uses the iPhone data plan, or a minor upgrade ($5 / month) I MIGHT consider it. If you can tether it to your iPhone (AT&T or maybe Verizon) without additional fees (may be in Verizons best interest to gain customers) I'M IN!

(Must have WiFi regardless)

AT&T still hasn't activated tethering, so I while the tablet may have that ability, it won't work until AT&T gets its act together.

Alectric

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
I'm sick of the Tablet rumors. It's only 1 more week so give it a break?

No one gives a cr*p that your sick of IT!!!:mad: If you don't like IT then don't read the rumors!:rolleyes: I'm not as nice a Wildcardd SO GIVE IT A BREAK! Oh and stop posting in every thread.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
AT&T still hasn't activated tethering, so I while the tablet may have that ability, it won't work until AT&T gets its act together.

Yes, I know this, but I figure for this product they had better be ready! -- One can only hope, especially if they don't charge you an arm and a leg.

aquabella

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
I hope if you already have an iPhone (or other AT&T phone), you will have the option to add the tablet to your existing phone number and it will be a slave to your phone (but you can only be using one of them at a time). AT&T just dropped their data plan fee by $10 a month, maybe knowing they will get some of it back through tablets?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Great article...

I think they're closer to the prices - $800 outright or $600 on a contract. Some sites are saying $999, but you can get a MacBook for that so why would anyone pay that for a tablet? Especially when other companies are releasing their's for much less.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Seem unlikely....the tablet is sorta a new device, but the market doesn't have a history of locking in with one company for mobile computers. Smartphones, yes...as much as I hate it, but tablets tend to be devices sold on their own like Macs(or with a data plan if you want, like netbooks)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.