Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgiekao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
So I noticed that youtube recently added the 1080p and 720p choices to their videos, and I was pretty excited until I realized I couldn't play any of them.

When I click the watch in hd 1080p button, not only does my browser lag, but it makes anything I do on the computer lag (including when I have nothing but my browser running). On the videos where I have the option of 1080 or 720, if I keep it at 720 the quality is horrible. (The HD videos without the 1080p option play fine, and have no lag).

I have a MacBook Pro
Processor: 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I just updated my mac with the snow leopard software, adobe flash player 10... is there anything I can do?

I am not a computer whiz, so try and keep advice dumbed down a bit? :)

EDIT:
so youtube updated their HD stuff a day after I posted this question, but I am still unable to watch any HD videos in 1080p. 720p works fine, but I guess I'm just confused as to why I can't play the 1080??

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
it's a flash problem, but it cant be sorted, adobe dont do flash for Mac, apple does ;)
you could try installing windows xp via bootcamp then using youtube that way but thats a bit drastic for just youtube

you could download the videos and watch them via VLC , it'll slow your machine down but i dont think as much ;)

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
There's something up. I can watch YouTube HD Flash videos without any issues on my four year old 17" iMac, 1.8GHz CD with 2GB RAM.

One thing I suggest is bypassing Flash entirely. Install ClickToFlash and configure it to load H264 on YouTube. Even if your Mac would run the Flash videos with no problems, it's a huge performance improvement.

Edit: actually, I just realized I don't normally watch YouTube in full screen, and can't find a way of going full screen from the H264 player. Clicking "Watch this video in a new window" loads the Flash version ... which still plays fine in full screen on my iMac, even while the H264 version is still running in the original browser window.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I was going to put a new post for this, but this is close enough...

I am reading articles and I found youtube to support HTML5 video, no more flash. FINALLY!

Flash makes my browser takes like 80% of my CPU(core 2 duo) , and runs my cpu hot at 72-75C .

So I join html 5 youtube, no more flash that makes the Mac hot. Here are the results.

I got to an html5 video, m CPU was at new high %104 and the heat went up to 81C , thats MORE than buggy flash. WTF?!

Its worse than flash? I thought flash takes a lot of CPU and increases the mac's heat, but this is worse.
Am I missing something?

CPU fluctuates between 64-104%, Flash stable at 80% or so
Heat fluctuates between 72-81C , using flash it was stable around 72-75C

Can any one explains this?

out of topic but:
1)Is this h264 videos smaller in size than Flash , or is it bigger in size?(for downloading speed)

2)I cant skip forward in longer videos, I have to wait for the whole thing to load. In flash you can start at any second you want.

Suddenly, flash sounds better.
enlighten me please

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.