Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Hi I just got a new computer and am selling my upgraded mac mini for parts, including the 320GB hard drive. It does have personal stuff (photos, videos, quicken, probably passwords or something). I want to sell it on ebay.

How do I format it so no one can get the info off of it? I'm a little paranoid about hackers and whatnot. What kind of weirdo would buy a used 320 laptop hard drive?

Thanks.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
7 pass is good enough. The 35 pass erase is for different hard drive sector layouts (or something like that), and is not relevant for modern hard drives.

If you have a SSD, normal erasing utilities are not good enough since the SSD may have more memory than listed for wear-leveling. To erase a SSD, you should use the manufacturer's erasing utility, if available.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
7 pass is good enough. The 35 pass erase is for different hard drive sector layouts (or something like that), and is not relevant for modern hard drives.

If you have a SSD, normal erasing utilities are not good enough since the SSD may have more memory than listed for wear-leveling. To erase a SSD, you should use the manufacturer's erasing utility, if available.

I wish! If it was SSD I wouldn't be selling it! Besides I don't think they make them in 320GB. If they did it would be about $1500 I think.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland

Attachments

• Hammer_4926f26d96402.jpg
    Hammer_4926f26d96402.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 50

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Why not just keep the 320gig drive, put it in an external case and use it for extra storage...or a cloned backup drive for emergencies. I can't imagine how much you'll get for it used these days. Anyway, just a thought. :)

nelsonlowe

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2010

Agree. 7 pass would be fine. Don't defrag the SSD either, it will make the life of the ssd exp less.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Why not just keep the 320gig drive, put it in an external case and use it for extra storage...or a cloned backup drive for emergencies. I can't imagine how much you'll get for it used these days. Anyway, just a thought. :)

I already have four or five of those things laying around (500GB, 1TB, 750GB) at various places (home, office, mac mini media center). None of them are close to full.

Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.