Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street provides some new tidbits of information about he upcoming Apple tablet that is expected to be announced next week. The article summarizes many of the recent rumors and suggestions about he tablet device which is expected to be 10 to 11 inches in screen size and be priced around $1000. The article cites several different people "in the know" about Apple's plans and reveals the following new tidbits.

According to those familiar with the situation Apple will be targeting the new device at both homes and classrooms. Apple is said to envision that one device might be shared by multiple family members to read news and check email. For classrooms, Apple is looking into electronic textbooks. The device will include a virtual keyboard for input.

Apple is, of course, working with book, magazine and newspaper publishers for content, but also television networks. Apple has apparently been pitching some sort of "best of TV" subscription service to media companies. Invites to the gaming media seem to have some substance as Apple is also said to have worked with EA to show off the tablet's gaming capabilities.

In the end, it seems Apple is working on all fronts to bring various types of media together on the single device. Sharing of a single device seems to have importance to Apple with experiments in users leaving virtual sticky notes for each other, and even automatically recognizing the user by built-in camera. The author isn't sure if these features will make it into the final shipping product.

Article Link: Apple Tablet Hints: Virtual Keyboard, Camera, eBooks, More

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
I am really hoping for the price to be in the $600-700 range, this way it can be a little competitive to netbooks.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
This is just as exciting as when we were leading up to the iPhone launch...can't wait to see what they have...also can't wait to see how SJ is doing.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I knew this was going to happen. Leading up to the event is going to be bits and pieces of information and misinformation coming from every direction. It's fun. However, I'm surprised at how little we actually know for sure. For all we know there is no tablet. They have kept this thing under wraps. Apple really knows how to market this way, it is kind of freaky.

Gizmodo is saying the article said something about streaming iTunes as well.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
1) I'm slightly confused on the sticky note thing...so basically its an emailed sticky note to my "desktop"?

2) Are we EVER going to have live video streams of Apple events?

I don't even NEED live streams, but at least it could be up earlier than 5 hours after the keynote ends. I avoided all info/coverage about MWSF '09 to watch the keynote and had to wait until late at night just to see it.

@Arn: You wanna see if someone can hop on uStream and live feed the keynote???

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
The text book would be amazing! no more lugging around heavy books.

Also, what if you could borrow library books that will be 'locked' after the due date? Would be awesome as no more late fees! :D

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
I don't see how making this a $1000 product makes sense. If you are going to spend 1k, why not just buy a composite Macbook?

More likely we will see this in the 600-700 dollar range.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Since the last rumor was that there is no camera, clearly you must have to identify yourself by licking the screen (that explains the prior "water sensor" rumors).

Dudwasup

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7D11)

macfan881 said:
is it the 27th yet.;)

I wish

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
The text book would be amazing! no more lugging around heavy books.

Also, what if you could borrow library books that will be 'locked' after the due date? Would be awesome as no more late fees! :D
Yeah, all yours for only $1000. Everyone can afford one at that price. :rolleyes:

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
$1000 for an eBook/eNewspaper reader is about like $5000 for a Segway.

If AAPL hangs around 210 by the beginning of next week I'm going to short-sell, take my 10% and laugh all the way to the bank.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
$1000 is pushing it for me, especially since I'm planning on buying a new MBP within the next year or so. $600 is a sale for me, but probably not until later in the year. Gotta save the monies because I just bought a car with cash! Who even does that anymore? I guess I could always use credit, but that would be irresponsible. That and the wife would kill me. I wasn't even that interested in this tablet until recently. I still think I'm more looking forward to the next iPhone software and hardware upgrades, as I'm getting those for certain (money waiting in the bank). But my wife has needed a new compter for awhile (old Dell), and the concept of a shared system that is left on the coffee table does sound very appealing and would fit into our lifestyle nicely. Though I was planning on giving her my current MBP before I upgrade. Oh decisions.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
i think $1000 dollars is to high, $600-$700 range makes it a little more reasonable for people, but even if it does launch at $1000 if it were subsidized on a 3G network could make it $500 or so. Just a theory.

wenfuu

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
owh come on, its just few days away. quit building up the rumors and let your patience and excitement take over.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
I don't see how making this a $1000 product makes sense. If you are going to spend 1k, why not just buy a composite Macbook?

There will most likely be a $799 model, an $899 model, and a $999 model. The difference will be storage space and/or possible OLED vs LED.

Why on earth would anyone buy an old tech composite Macbook, when a lighter smaller tablet with touch capabilities, subsidized 3G connectivity, better battery life, better display, ebook capable, accelerometer, facial recognition, etc. etc. could be had for the same money?

I guess to each his own but the old composite macbook is an outdated turkey anyway.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

For the same reason the Macbook Air costs $500 more than the Macbook even though it isn't as fully featured (except maybe for size). This could also be said to be true about the tablet. More convenient, smaller? Plus the cool factor.

BTW, what ever happened to the Macbook Air? Nobody talks about it anymore and it's design doesn't match any of the new systems. Will it be EOL'ed with the introduction of the tablet?

D 5

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
You will be able to Type on your Tablet using your iPhone/iPod Touch when there is no access to a full keyboard :D

MacFanJeff

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
IL, USA
I see this as replacing the Macbook entry level models, including the "Air" and them making the tablet and Macbook Pros only for mobile computing. Also I think they will move their portable music devices to the Touch and maybe still the "Classic" but do away with the rest.

This is the first step to getting more content from truly portable devices for Apple and consolidating it into the tablet makes the most sense. At $1,000 I still think it will be a great seller because they don't intend to ever compete with netbooks and it will be better than a Macbook since everything seems to be moving to or accessed from "the cloud". That eliminates the need for bulky laptops.

The keyboard touchpad would be OK, but it really MUST have a Bluetooth keyboard capability too. The face camera seeing you as a unique user is one of the WOW factors I suspect will be revealed. Kevin Rose already said on a couple of podcasts he has gotten info from a reliable source that it will have several of those unique Apple WOW designs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.