Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WTF2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Is there a way to do this yet without restoring as new?

Will they automatically clear if they aren't used for a while?

I can't restore my phone as new because the backup that is in Itunes contains the addresses that I wish to delete so I can't use the back up and will have to lose all of my calender info and contacts if I restore it.

Any suggestions??? I have been searching for months trying to figure this out to no avail.

OhioLefty

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2009

I can't restore my phone as new because the backup that is in Itunes contains the addresses that I wish to delete so I can't use the back up and will have to lose all of my calender info and contacts if I restore it.

Any suggestions??? I have been searching for months trying to figure this out to no avail.

If you are jailbroken, yes there is a way to clear it.

Credit goes to Mik0l86

Your iPhone will have to be jailbroken so you can ssh into:
/private/var/mobile/library/addressbook

You then copy out AddressBook.sqlitedb
It would be best to create a backup of this just in case something goes wrong.

Then what you'll need to do is open the file with a SQLite Database manager, I for example downloaded Visual SQLite (for free) off of download.com.

Then after installing and opening the file (AddressBook.sqlitedb) you can go ahead and delete the contact you wish to remove by:
Under Table selecting: ABRecent
Selecting the Table Data tab
And then scrolling down, finding the person, and....delete

So then you save the file, ssh it back to the same folder in your iPhone, replacing the existing one. I first rebooted my phone before checking to see if the address was gone.

If you are not jailbroken, I don't know of a way.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

No to all, and otherwise you must be JB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.