Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyramis

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
Maybe you could be more specific about 'the effect' you're referring to.

What makes this such a great shot is that it's a nice camera shooting with a nice lens. Nice glass goes so far in turning a good composition into WOW.

I'm not an expert, but looks like it was shot with a 50mm fixed lens and a pretty wide aperture at f2.8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vrou/4293031313/meta/

With your camera, try experimenting with close-ups and wide apertures.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
Maybe you could be more specific about 'the effect' you're referring to.

What makes this such a great shot is that it's a nice camera shooting with a nice lens. Nice glass goes so far in turning a good composition into WOW.

I'm not an expert, but looks like it was shot with a 50mm fixed lens and a pretty wide aperture at f2.8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vrou/4293031313/meta/

With your camera, try experimenting with close-ups and wide apertures.

I got a 20D + 50mm 1.4 USM so.... :cool:

but it seems like it was shopped, the skin looks almost desaturated while all other parts really POP out, you know what I mean? :rolleyes:

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Looks like the whole thing is desaturated, and the contrast bumped... WB also seems a bit cool on my screen, light appears softened... just my observations. I think you could do similar stuff by just experimenting. You need good light and composition... then just experiment in pp with selective color. I'd definitely shoot RAW to maximize options.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Well, I'm an expert ....

And I can tell you that it was shot at 50mm, with f/2.8, ISO 100 - and about 160th of a second exposure.

Judging by the look, a Canon 300D.

But that's just an educated guess. :)

hank-b

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
Well, I'm an expert ....

And I can tell you that it was shot at 50mm, with f/2.8, ISO 100 - and about 160th of a second exposure.

...and the photo was modified in PhotoShop just under 5 hours after it was taken...

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Well, I'm an expert ....

With no flash and using JPEG compression. The exposure and white balance were on Auto (by the look of it :)) and it was modified using Adobe Photoshop 7.0.

Touché! :cool:

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Hmmm, looks like all of that can be accomplished in RAW without even touching it in Photoshop itself. Maybe lower the saturation down, boost contrast, play around with the levels, add some recovery, and play around with split toning and color profiles, and your good to go.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Hmmm, looks like all of that can be accomplished in RAW without even touching it in Photoshop itself. Maybe lower the saturation down, boost contrast, play around with the levels, add some recovery, and play around with split toning and color profiles, and your good to go.

How is messing around in RAW to get a stylized image any different than using PS for the same effect?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.