Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:37 PM   #1
ronanc
macrumors newbie

White MacBook battery not charging

Hey guys , have a three year old white macbook, never had any problems with anything until I left it in my car overnight last week (which I've done before without incident). Now my battery won't charge but the laptop works when its plugged into the power supply. I swapped batteries with my brothers laptop and his battery works fine in my laptop, so the battery is the problem.

Anyone ever heard of this happening before? Is this just a case of new battery or is there some way of fixing it?
ronanc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:57 PM   #2
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

You probably overcharged the battery. New battery should fix this and also give you a nice new battery.
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Serif
macrumors regular

This sounds all too familiar and the upshot is that you will probably have to bite the bullet and buy a new battery.

I have a Macbook about the same age that has been used pretty lightly, essentially as a standby to take with me when working off site. A few weeks ago I found that the battery was dead and when I tried to charge it, it wouldn't take a charge. I'd upgraded to Snow Leopard and under the new battery status menu bar icon was a message to replace the battery.

I used another tool, Coconut Battery I think, that allowed me to look at individual cells within the battery and found that one of the cells had failed. I'm guessing this is what may have happened in your case also.
Serif is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook