Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback

Old Aug 19, 2004, 04:44 PM   #1
SasyBabe
macrumors member

Question apple lossless?

I havent gotten my ipod yet.. but i will be soon, so i am trying to upload my CDs on my powerbook in itunes. I was wondering if someone could explain to me what apple lossless is in general terms and how it works? I am still kinda new to Macs so could you explain it fully. I noticed that after I imported my CD, I would go to the advanced menu in itunes and selected convert to apple lossless... it then converted my files. I went into my music folder that holds all my files and i see that i have 2 of everything I converted with apple lossless. The file extentions are the same sooo... what is going on here. I would like to know also if converting my songs to this format will allow me to have more room on my ipod???? What is the positive and negatives of this converting? I just need someone to explain this whole apple lossless idea to me and what it does. Thanx in advanced!
SasyBabe is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:35 PM   #2
iLikeMyiMac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iLikeMyiMac Send a message via MSN to iLikeMyiMac
Apple Lossless Codec is a compromise between the small but lossy encoding of AAC or MP3 and the large file sizes of pristine AIFF audio. Apple Lossless provides full uncompressed CD quality audio in about half the space of the original file, answering the call by discriminating musical ears for a format that offered both compression and high-quality audio.
If I read your post right it seems that you are importing from your cds in either aac or mp3 and then converting those files to apple lossless. Unless you have a lot of space, not a lot of cds, and a really good ear I would not reccomend importing your cds to apple lossess. I import my cds at 192kps AAC and can't tell the difference between that and the cd.
iLikeMyiMac is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2004, 07:17 AM   #3
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Don't put Apple Lossless onto your iPod. You won't gain anything from it other than craptacular battery life. Your iPod moves 25MB of music from the hard drive (HD) into cache memory, and plays the music from cache memory. If it didn't work this way, your HD would be spinning for as long as you use it. The HD uses a lot of power, which is why the cache memory makes the battery life reasonable.

Anyway, if your iPod has 25MB of cache memory, and you have 3 mp3 songs, and each mp3 takes up exactly 8 MB of space, this means that your cache memory can store these 3 songs onto cache memory (24MB worth of songs), and your iPod will play all 3 songs before it has to reload more songs from the HD into the 25 MB cache memory.

HOWEVER, if you encode all your songs in Apple Lossless format, and each of the 3 songs is now 25MB in size (ie: much larger) instead of just 8MB per song, your iPod will only be able to store a single 25MB song in memory instead of 3 songs. So after each song is finished, it has to get another song from the HD and put it into memory, which uses up a lot of power. In the previous example, it could play 3 songs before having to fetch more songs.

Also, your anti-skip will barely work if your song files are enormous.

When you Import songs, set the file format to AAC and either 128kbps, 160kbps, or 192 kbps. I say encode the songs at 160kbps to make sure the battery life is good. 192kbps means that each song takes up 50% more space than a song encoded at 128kbps.

Last edited by Abstract; Aug 20, 2004 at 07:20 AM.
Abstract is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback