Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:41 PM   #1
neonkru
macrumors regular

Video Settings Export in iMovie

Hi! I'm new in video editing. I have a canon legria hf200 that shoots video at 1920*1080p

however the standard exports of the imovie have bad quality.

what is the best format to export a movie without losing quality?

If i'm exporting in mpeg4 h264 (which i believe is the best format) what settings and bitrates should i use for 720p and 1080p movies respectively?

thank you for your help
neonkru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:37 PM   #2
huntercr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonkru View Post
Hi! I'm new in video editing. I have a canon legria hf200 that shoots video at 1920*1080p

however the standard exports of the imovie have bad quality.

what is the best format to export a movie without losing quality?

If i'm exporting in mpeg4 h264 (which i believe is the best format) what settings and bitrates should i use for 720p and 1080p movies respectively?

thank you for your help
What is your output medium? Do you want people to download, or burn to DVD-ROM or play on a PS3 or...?
huntercr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:34 PM   #3
neonkru
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercr View Post
What is your output medium? Do you want people to download, or burn to DVD-ROM or play on a PS3 or...?
I usually use the settings in my canon hf200 recording at 1920*1080p at either 24mbps or 17 mbps. (mostly 24mbps)

I edit those videos in imovie to make a whole movie from a vacation or something because i don't want to keep the original files (theres a lot of stuff that doesn't matter). So my mainly concern is to keep the iMovie Final editing in maximum quality possible, just like the original. I don't know if that's possible using mpeg4 h264, but i believe it is (or if you recommend another format just tell me=D). I would like to keep the resolution at it's original 1920*1080p.

I usually make a dvd video using the share->export to idvd but, that's for fun, later i would like to be able to burn that stuff into bluray media support because dvd-video doesn't support 1080p quality.

For youtube which settings should i use? thank you for your help and time

Last edited by neonkru; Jan 22, 2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:05 PM   #4
neonkru
macrumors regular

so, any help at all?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:41 PM   #5
neonkru
macrumors regular

no one knows how to help?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:36 PM   #6
huntercr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I usually use the settings in my canon hf200 recording at 1920*1080p at either 24mbps or 17 mbps. (mostly 24mbps)

I edit those videos in imovie to make a whole movie from a vacation or something because i don't want to keep the original files (theres a lot of stuff that doesn't matter). So my mainly concern is to keep the iMovie Final editing in maximum quality possible, just like the original. I don't know if that's possible using mpeg4 h264, but i believe it is (or if you recommend another format just tell me=D). I would like to keep the resolution at it's original 1920*1080p.

I usually make a dvd video using the share->export to idvd but, that's for fun, later i would like to be able to burn that stuff into bluray media support because dvd-video doesn't support 1080p quality.

For youtube which settings should i use? thank you for your help and time

For youtube you ought to google this. There are dozens of walkthroughs and I believe youtube's documentation itself is quite clear.
in general, you want to pick the highest bitrate possible with H.264 that results in a file that is < 1GB. Deinterlace ahead of time also.
I'm not sure if the 1GB limit applies anymore especially for FD content.

Youtube is going to reencode the file anyway.

Here's an article I found that might help:

http://webvideotechniques.com/123/bi...for-youtube-hd
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:44 AM   #7
neonkru
macrumors regular

thank oyu for the youtube article. the thing i want to acomplish is the max quality poss for home storage. i don't really need a compact size encoding. i don't really mind about space but for example if a video with a determinate bit rate has the same quality as the video with a higher bitrate then there's no need for that higher bitrate. i wonder what bitrates do users here use for that =P
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:44 PM   #8
huntercr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
thank oyu for the youtube article. the thing i want to acomplish is the max quality poss for home storage. i don't really need a compact size encoding. i don't really mind about space but for example if a video with a determinate bit rate has the same quality as the video with a higher bitrate then there's no need for that higher bitrate. i wonder what bitrates do users here use for that =P
In that case, if you want to keep reasonably close to the same quality you started with, you need H.264 @ 24Mbit or 17Mbit.

If you want to keep exactly the same quality, you're going to have it be in AIC or ProRes codecs, which is going to be a far large file than the original unedited source.

There may be an AVCHD editor out there that doesn't require you to recompress the resulting file ( like MPEGStreamclip does for MPEG2 files ), but I've not seen one.

Harddrives are cheap these days... consider backing up to a rotation of haddrives or burn a bunch of DVD-Rs with the original unedited footage.

Also consider this... left in iMovie ( which converts your files to AIC ) you'll get ~20 hours of video on a 1TB drive.
If you save your unedited AVCHD video ( @24Mbit ), you can store ~ 95 hours of footage in the same 1TB.

If I were you, I wouldn't waste the time editing that footage for archive.

Now, if you're wanting to store your final finished edited piece and you want *that*, then consider leaving it in AIC. It will be better quality , but of course it will take up 4 or 5 times the space per minute.

Hope this helps

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video