Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:22 PM   #1
neediphonehelp
macrumors newbie

Help Removing Screws

Replacing LCD and screws are in too tight. Any suggestions to remove the screws...it has a blue substance on them to hold them tight. will heat help or anything
neediphonehelp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:51 PM   #2
pcs are junk
Banned

that blue substance is not something to hold them in tight...that is tiny little pieces of the circuit board which have been ground off when those screws were screwed in.
pcs are junk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 03:02 AM   #3
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs are junk View Post
that blue substance is not something to hold them in tight...that is tiny little pieces of the circuit board which have been ground off when those screws were screwed in.
Lmfao that's the best one I've heard this year!

The blue stuff is a product called loctite. And it is designed to stop screws, nuts and bolts etc from coming undone due to vibration or shock. It's widly used in the auto industry due to it's ability depending on type used to withstand high tempratures where nyloc nuts would fail.

OP - make sure you have the right screwdriver for the job. Put as much pressure into the screw as your comfortable with then turn slowly anyiclockwise. If the driver starts to slip the stop and apply a little more pressure into the screw.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 06:40 AM   #4
pcs are junk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Lmfao that's the best one I've heard this year!

The blue stuff is a product called loctite. And it is designed to stop screws, nuts and bolts etc from coming undone due to vibration or shock. It's widly used in the auto industry due to it's ability depending on type used to withstand high tempratures where nyloc nuts would fail.

OP - make sure you have the right screwdriver for the job. Put as much pressure into the screw as your comfortable with then turn slowly anyiclockwise. If the driver starts to slip the stop and apply a little more pressure into the screw.
Click image for larger version

Name:	d4sttvhfrlwkxf2a-large.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	211988
in the picture if u notice just above the center its blue. thats the circuit board. and he said that stuff on the screws is blue. now when i took apart my hp, my dell, and my friends hp, they had green circuit boards. they also had green on the screws. starting to see a pattern?
pcs are junk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 06:50 AM   #5
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
Revision3 has you covered. skip to 14:00 for the iPhone glass replacement steps, or just watch the whole episode. great show!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 06:55 AM   #6
mojohanna
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Attachment 211988
in the picture if u notice just above the center its blue. thats the circuit board. and he said that stuff on the screws is blue. now when i took apart my hp, my dell, and my friends hp, they had green circuit boards. they also had green on the screws. starting to see a pattern?
That's great, but the board and the screws are oriented the opposite of each other. There is no reason there would be blue from the board on the screws. Even if the screws did go into the board, it does not make sense that they would be self tapping. The holes would be pre-drilled and threaded.

As stated above, it is most likely a thread locking compound. Very commonly used.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:03 AM   #7
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Quote:
Attachment 211988

Trust me it's loctite. You can buy it to either apply to the thread or a dab on the top.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 01:09 AM   #8
ShinySteelRobot
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Trust me it's loctite. You can buy it to either apply to the thread or a dab on the top.
Yep, it's Loctite for sure. Many electronics assembly companies use it to hold bolts in place for mobile equipment such as laptops and phones. Just google for "LOC37614" if you're curious about it. It's medium blue and has a consistency like a thick wax. My old MacBook (which does NOT have blue PCB boards) had this blue gunk all over the bolts.
ShinySteelRobot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting