Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neediphonehelp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
Replacing LCD and screws are in too tight. Any suggestions to remove the screws...it has a blue substance on them to hold them tight. will heat help or anything

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
that blue substance is not something to hold them in tight...that is tiny little pieces of the circuit board which have been ground off when those screws were screwed in.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
that blue substance is not something to hold them in tight...that is tiny little pieces of the circuit board which have been ground off when those screws were screwed in.

Lmfao that's the best one I've heard this year!

The blue stuff is a product called loctite. And it is designed to stop screws, nuts and bolts etc from coming undone due to vibration or shock. It's widly used in the auto industry due to it's ability depending on type used to withstand high tempratures where nyloc nuts would fail.

OP - make sure you have the right screwdriver for the job. Put as much pressure into the screw as your comfortable with then turn slowly anyiclockwise. If the driver starts to slip the stop and apply a little more pressure into the screw.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
Lmfao that's the best one I've heard this year!

The blue stuff is a product called loctite. And it is designed to stop screws, nuts and bolts etc from coming undone due to vibration or shock. It's widly used in the auto industry due to it's ability depending on type used to withstand high tempratures where nyloc nuts would fail.

OP - make sure you have the right screwdriver for the job. Put as much pressure into the screw as your comfortable with then turn slowly anyiclockwise. If the driver starts to slip the stop and apply a little more pressure into the screw.
d4sttvhfrlwkxf2a-large.jpg
in the picture if u notice just above the center its blue. thats the circuit board. and he said that stuff on the screws is blue. now when i took apart my hp, my dell, and my friends hp, they had green circuit boards. they also had green on the screws. starting to see a pattern?

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
View attachment 211988
in the picture if u notice just above the center its blue. thats the circuit board. and he said that stuff on the screws is blue. now when i took apart my hp, my dell, and my friends hp, they had green circuit boards. they also had green on the screws. starting to see a pattern?

That's great, but the board and the screws are oriented the opposite of each other. There is no reason there would be blue from the board on the screws. Even if the screws did go into the board, it does not make sense that they would be self tapping. The holes would be pre-drilled and threaded.

As stated above, it is most likely a thread locking compound. Very commonly used.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

View attachment 211988

Trust me it's loctite. You can buy it to either apply to the thread or a dab on the top.

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
Trust me it's loctite. You can buy it to either apply to the thread or a dab on the top.
Yep, it's Loctite for sure. Many electronics assembly companies use it to hold bolts in place for mobile equipment such as laptops and phones. Just google for "LOC37614" if you're curious about it. It's medium blue and has a consistency like a thick wax. My old MacBook (which does NOT have blue PCB boards) had this blue gunk all over the bolts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.