Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1
getatkyill
macrumors regular

Formatting external hard drive on my Macbook Pro

Good Morning!

I just bout this Western Digital External Hard drive, Passport SE. Anyways, I formatted it to MS-DOS (FAT) so I can use on mac and/or windows. One of the other main reasons I bought it was so I could use it to watch videos on my Xbox 360.

Now I've seen tutorials online with windows how to re-format it to FAT32 so it works properly on xbox 360 but cannot figure it out on mac? On some of the tutorials they use certain programs to do it, is there something like that for mac I can download? Is fat32 and fat the same?

I know there has to be a way for me to be able to format it to FAT32 using mac. Thank you all in advance.
getatkyill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Queso
macrumors 603

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility (or Go menu>>Utiities from the Finder). Select the disk from the list on the left, then select the "Erase" tab on the right, MS-DOS (FAT) as the format and click Erase to format it.
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:54 AM   #3
spinnerlys

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatkyill View Post
Good Morning!

I just bout this Western Digital External Hard drive, Passport SE. Anyways, I formatted it to MS-DOS (FAT) so I can use on mac and/or windows. One of the other main reasons I bought it was so I could use it to watch videos on my Xbox 360.

Now I've seen tutorials online with windows how to re-format it to FAT32 so it works properly on xbox 360 but cannot figure it out on mac? On some of the tutorials they use certain programs to do it, is there something like that for mac I can download? Is fat32 and fat the same?

I know there has to be a way for me to be able to format it to FAT32 using mac. Thank you all in advance.
MS-DOS Apple's name for FAT32.

FAT means File Allocation Table, 32 means 32bit.

When you can copy files to your MS-DOS formatted HDD that are up to (but not exceed) 4GB, your drive is formatted with FAT32, FAT16 (the predecessor of FAT32) does not even allow partitions bigger than 2GB.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:31 PM   #4
getatkyill
macrumors regular

I understand..so in other words, MS-DOS (FAT) is FAT32 & thats what I currently have it formatted to? I selected MS-DOS (FAT) in the disk utility options.

Just when I connect my external hard drive to my xbox 360, when I go to "Video Library" on the xbox..I see "Portable Devices" but it's grayed out so I can't select it but my external hard drive light is solid when connected to the 360.

Am I doing something wrong??
getatkyill is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro