Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:23 PM   #1
xgsrpg
macrumors member

G4 vs. Pentium M

Since the G4 and the Pentium M are in the similar range of clockspeeds, how does a 1.5 GHz G4 compare to a 1.5 GHz Pentium M?
xgsrpg is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:26 PM   #2
FuzzyBallz
macrumors 6502a

If you want speed, why not just go w/ Mobile AMD Athlon 64?
FuzzyBallz is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:10 PM   #3
xgsrpg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyBallz
If you want speed, why not just go w/ Mobile AMD Athlon 64?
I was just curious because Apple's processors were always touted (not necessarily by Apple) to be faster than x86s at lower clock speeds. I am just curious of how the Pentium M and G4 compare with some real numbers.
xgsrpg is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:31 PM   #4
Catfish_Man
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Catfish_Man
As far as I know, the P-M beats the pants of the G4 in both performance/watt and absolute performance for most things. It's actually a very nice chip in many ways, especially compared to the P4. Still probably loses pretty badly at vector stuff though. SSE2 has never been able to stand up to Altivec.
Catfish_Man is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:38 PM   #5
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

I'm pretty sure the Pentium M is a better chip than the G4 in most regards.
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 02:50 AM   #6
jefhatfield
Retired

i am not a fan of intel, but the pentium m is possibly the best chip out there for everyday consumers
jefhatfield is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 05:57 AM   #7
cb911
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to cb911 Send a message via AIM to cb911
my bro just got a PC laptop, Pentium M either 1.5 or 1.7GHz, something like that. Radeon 9700, 512MB RAM i think. i sure plays games very nicely. i haven't played with PhotoShop or anything like that on it, but it is a very nice chip indeed.

but dont' worry, Apple isn't going to drop the ball. just hang in there for the dual-core G4's.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 06:23 AM   #8
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

P-M > G4

/thread.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 10:31 AM   #9
Corrupted
macrumors member

I love Powerbook. I have owned 3 of them. But the Pentium-M will Spank a PowerBook. If you want speed and a crappy OS go for a Pentium -M notebook. If you want style, elegance and a sturdy OS which isn't the fastest but gets the job done go for a PowerBook.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 10:47 AM   #10
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted
I love Powerbook. I have owned 3 of them. But the Pentium-M will Spank a PowerBook. If you want speed and a crappy OS go for a Pentium -M notebook. If you want style, elegance and a sturdy OS which isn't the fastest but gets the job done go for a PowerBook.
The Pentium-M won't spank anything. It is only a processor. OTOH, the PowerBook is a line of laptop computers.
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:53 AM   #11
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

If I bought a PC desktop, I'd want a Pentium-M (or AMD) in there rather than that disgusting and disgraceful P4. I'd rather not support such a bad tech. The P-M is definitely not bad at all, I must admit.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:03 PM   #12
Corrupted
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe
The Pentium-M won't spank anything. It is only a processor. OTOH, the PowerBook is a line of laptop computers.
the new Intel Dothan will spank a powerbook's G4 processor.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:42 PM   #13
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030

Quote:
That's just stereotypical mac/pc poo...
Speed and a decent OS: P-M
ALOT Slower and a good OS: G4

Dude, windows isn't that bad. If windows didn't get the job done, no one would be using it. get real.

edit: I don't want to discuss this mac/pc crap. Just making a point....
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:50 PM   #14
Mav451
macrumors 68000

Yep. In addition to that, there are guides to actually "building your own laptop". Yes, you can do that now.

Here's a link to one a spotted a few months ago:

http://www.legitreviews.com/reviews/whitebox1/

I may end up doing this later myself =D
Old Aug 21, 2004, 01:04 PM   #15
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by edesignuk
/thread.
Talk about wishful thinking
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:13 AM   #16
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
the new Intel Dothan will spank a powerbook's G4 processor.
Neither the Intel Dothan nor the PowerBook's G4 will do anything until you install them in computers. The resulting performance of either will determined by the hardware and software that supports it. The only valid comparison of processors requires that the rest of the hardware be the same and that the two computers run the same software. Since neither is the case, no valid statement about the relative performance of the two processors can be made.
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:47 AM   #17
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Neither the Intel Dothan nor the PowerBook's G4 will do anything until you install them in computers. The resulting performance of either will determined by the hardware and software that supports it. The only valid comparison of processors requires that the rest of the hardware be the same and that the two computers run the same software. Since neither is the case, no valid statement about the relative performance of the two processors can be made.
Um....I'm sorry, but since you didn't put a </sarcasm> or similar at the end of your post, so I don't know if you were actually being seriously or not.

Its safe to say, even without testing, that a P-M or Dothan would spank the G4 blue if the rest of the hardware were the same.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:13 AM   #18
Catfish_Man
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Catfish_Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract
Um....I'm sorry, but since you didn't put a </sarcasm> or similar at the end of your post, so I don't know if you were actually being seriously or not.

Its safe to say, even without testing, that a P-M or Dothan would spank the G4 blue if the rest of the hardware were the same.
Not at (for example) RC-5. It's a sad day for a processor when you can't find SOME benchmark it wins at. The G4 wins at a few things due to altivec, and basically only due to altivec. That said, you can pry my AlBook out of my cold dead fingers
Catfish_Man is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:31 AM   #19
oingoboingo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish_Man
Not at (for example) RC-5. It's a sad day for a processor when you can't find SOME benchmark it wins at. The G4 wins at a few things due to altivec, and basically only due to altivec. That said, you can pry my AlBook out of my cold dead fingers
If it's an AlBook, your fingers are probably quite warm...almost scorched, in fact
oingoboingo is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:36 AM   #20
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaszmyr
Talk about wishful thinking
heh, tell me about it, silly me...
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:58 AM   #21
JeffTL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Underpants
That's just stereotypical mac/pc poo...
Speed and a decent OS: P-M
ALOT Slower and a good OS: G4

Dude, windows isn't that bad. If windows didn't get the job done, no one would be using it. get real.

edit: I don't want to discuss this mac/pc crap. Just making a point....
And this is the stereotypical "I am not a zealot like I think you are, and if you don't agree with me, you are" troll.

Most of us who speak poorly of Windows do so from experience. I use XP part of the time most days (including right now) and I imagine that I am not the only person who does. Yes, it does often get the job done, but much in the same way MS-DOS does. You can do all your word processing on Wordstar on CP/M if that suits your needs, but that does not meen that it is the best value, or the best way to do your task.
JeffTL is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:28 AM   #22
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract

I am quite serious. The Intel Dothan and Pentium-M are computer parts, not computers. The blue PowerMac G4 is a computer. You can't compare computer parts to computers. Or, is this a concept too difficult for you?
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:16 AM   #23
MacRy
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I am quite serious. The Intel Dothan and Pentium-M are computer parts, not computers. The blue PowerMac G4 is a computer. You can't compare computer parts to computers. Or, is this a concept too difficult for you?
Yeah but come on mate, seriously, that's just pedantry isn't it. I love Macs but you have to face facts and admit that these Pentium chips walk all over the G4 processor in terms of speed. You can't dodge the argument by offering minutia like that and suggesting that someone can't grasp a concept when you yourself have quite conveniently failed to do so.

Edit: By the way we share the same birthday......there's no point to this statement I just found it interesting.....I need to get out more...

Last edited by MacRy; Aug 22, 2004 at 11:19 AM.
MacRy is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 01:16 PM   #24
beefcake
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to beefcake
If by some freak occurence you could put a Pentium-M chipset into a Powerbook and keep everything else the same, I would never dream of ever buying anything except that product. However, I still wouldn't buy an IBM Notebook purely because I hate Windows and don't have the time to figure out Linux.
beefcake is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:00 PM   #25
zv470
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaszmyr
I'm pretty sure the Pentium M is a better chip than the G4 in most regards.
yeah, probably true, but I'd rather use a slow Mac, than a fast PC any day. (well... especially in a mobile arena)
zv470 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers