Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:23 PM   #1
xgsrpg
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
G4 vs. Pentium M

Since the G4 and the Pentium M are in the similar range of clockspeeds, how does a 1.5 GHz G4 compare to a 1.5 GHz Pentium M?
__________________
Dell Dimension 4500: Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4 / 2.26GHz, 40GB HD, 512MB DDR SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4600 with 128MB DDR VRAM, 18" Dell Ultrasharp 1800FP LCD monitor at 1280x1024
iMac DV SE: Mac OS X v10.1.5, G3 / 500MHz, 30GB HD, 128MB SDRAM, ATI Rage with 8MB VRAM, 15" CRT monitor at 1024x768 FOR SALE
15" SuperDrive PowerBook G4, 15GB iPod
xgsrpg is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:26 PM   #2
FuzzyBallz
macrumors 6502a
 
FuzzyBallz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Home of Al-Qaida
If you want speed, why not just go w/ Mobile AMD Athlon 64?
__________________
-165... ah crap, I lost count.
Mac: G5 Dual 2.0G / 1.5GB / GF FX5200 / 20" Cinema Display
PC: AMD Barton 2.2G / 1GB / GF Ti4200 / Dual 18" Sony LCD
FuzzyBallz is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:10 PM   #3
xgsrpg
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyBallz
If you want speed, why not just go w/ Mobile AMD Athlon 64?
I was just curious because Apple's processors were always touted (not necessarily by Apple) to be faster than x86s at lower clock speeds. I am just curious of how the Pentium M and G4 compare with some real numbers.
__________________
Dell Dimension 4500: Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4 / 2.26GHz, 40GB HD, 512MB DDR SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4600 with 128MB DDR VRAM, 18" Dell Ultrasharp 1800FP LCD monitor at 1280x1024
iMac DV SE: Mac OS X v10.1.5, G3 / 500MHz, 30GB HD, 128MB SDRAM, ATI Rage with 8MB VRAM, 15" CRT monitor at 1024x768 FOR SALE
15" SuperDrive PowerBook G4, 15GB iPod
xgsrpg is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:31 PM   #4
Catfish_Man
macrumors 68030
 
Catfish_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via AIM to Catfish_Man
As far as I know, the P-M beats the pants of the G4 in both performance/watt and absolute performance for most things. It's actually a very nice chip in many ways, especially compared to the P4. Still probably loses pretty badly at vector stuff though. SSE2 has never been able to stand up to Altivec.
Catfish_Man is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:38 PM   #5
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601
 
Chaszmyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
I'm pretty sure the Pentium M is a better chip than the G4 in most regards.
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 02:50 AM   #6
jefhatfield
Retired
 
jefhatfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
i am not a fan of intel, but the pentium m is possibly the best chip out there for everyday consumers
jefhatfield is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 05:57 AM   #7
cb911
macrumors 601
 
cb911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: BrisVegas, Australia
Send a message via ICQ to cb911 Send a message via AIM to cb911
my bro just got a PC laptop, Pentium M either 1.5 or 1.7GHz, something like that. Radeon 9700, 512MB RAM i think. i sure plays games very nicely. i haven't played with PhotoShop or anything like that on it, but it is a very nice chip indeed.

but dont' worry, Apple isn't going to drop the ball. just hang in there for the dual-core G4's.
__________________
PostPixel.com.au
cb911 is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 06:23 AM   #8
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus
 
edesignuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: London, England
P-M > G4

/thread.
__________________
edesignuk is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 10:31 AM   #9
Corrupted
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lewisville, TX
I love Powerbook. I have owned 3 of them. But the Pentium-M will Spank a PowerBook. If you want speed and a crappy OS go for a Pentium -M notebook. If you want style, elegance and a sturdy OS which isn't the fastest but gets the job done go for a PowerBook.
__________________
2.0 GHz Dual G5, 1.5 GIG DDR400 (PC3200), 160GB Serial ATA-7200rpm, 4x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW), GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
Corrupted is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 10:47 AM   #10
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted
I love Powerbook. I have owned 3 of them. But the Pentium-M will Spank a PowerBook. If you want speed and a crappy OS go for a Pentium -M notebook. If you want style, elegance and a sturdy OS which isn't the fastest but gets the job done go for a PowerBook.
The Pentium-M won't spank anything. It is only a processor. OTOH, the PowerBook is a line of laptop computers.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:53 AM   #11
Abstract
macrumors Penryn
 
Abstract's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Location Location
If I bought a PC desktop, I'd want a Pentium-M (or AMD) in there rather than that disgusting and disgraceful P4. I'd rather not support such a bad tech. The P-M is definitely not bad at all, I must admit.
__________________
"Hard? It's supposed to be hard. Hard is what makes it great!" - Tom Hanks.
Abstract is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:03 PM   #12
Corrupted
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lewisville, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe
The Pentium-M won't spank anything. It is only a processor. OTOH, the PowerBook is a line of laptop computers.
the new Intel Dothan will spank a powerbook's G4 processor.
__________________
2.0 GHz Dual G5, 1.5 GIG DDR400 (PC3200), 160GB Serial ATA-7200rpm, 4x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW), GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
Corrupted is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:42 PM   #13
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030
 
Capt Underpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted
I love Powerbook. I have owned 3 of them. But the Pentium-M will Spank a PowerBook. If you want speed and a crappy OS go for a Pentium -M notebook. If you want style, elegance and a sturdy OS which isn't the fastest but gets the job done go for a PowerBook.
That's just stereotypical mac/pc poo...
Speed and a decent OS: P-M
ALOT Slower and a good OS: G4

Dude, windows isn't that bad. If windows didn't get the job done, no one would be using it. get real.

edit: I don't want to discuss this mac/pc crap. Just making a point....
__________________
Love.
Capt Underpants is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:50 PM   #14
Mav451
macrumors 68000
 
Mav451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Maryland
Yep. In addition to that, there are guides to actually "building your own laptop". Yes, you can do that now.

Here's a link to one a spotted a few months ago:

http://www.legitreviews.com/reviews/whitebox1/

I may end up doing this later myself =D
__________________
i5 @ 3.6 Ghz | GB P55-UD3R | 4GB RAM DDR3 | GTX 580 | 4x 1TB WD | TX750
iPhone 4s (16GB), iBook 800 G3
Mav451 is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2004, 01:04 PM   #15
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601
 
Chaszmyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by edesignuk
/thread.
Talk about wishful thinking
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:13 AM   #16
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupted
the new Intel Dothan will spank a powerbook's G4 processor.
Neither the Intel Dothan nor the PowerBook's G4 will do anything until you install them in computers. The resulting performance of either will determined by the hardware and software that supports it. The only valid comparison of processors requires that the rest of the hardware be the same and that the two computers run the same software. Since neither is the case, no valid statement about the relative performance of the two processors can be made.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:47 AM   #17
Abstract
macrumors Penryn
 
Abstract's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Location Location
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe
Neither the Intel Dothan nor the PowerBook's G4 will do anything until you install them in computers. The resulting performance of either will determined by the hardware and software that supports it. The only valid comparison of processors requires that the rest of the hardware be the same and that the two computers run the same software. Since neither is the case, no valid statement about the relative performance of the two processors can be made.
Um....I'm sorry, but since you didn't put a </sarcasm> or similar at the end of your post, so I don't know if you were actually being seriously or not.

Its safe to say, even without testing, that a P-M or Dothan would spank the G4 blue if the rest of the hardware were the same.
__________________
"Hard? It's supposed to be hard. Hard is what makes it great!" - Tom Hanks.
Abstract is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:13 AM   #18
Catfish_Man
macrumors 68030
 
Catfish_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via AIM to Catfish_Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract
Um....I'm sorry, but since you didn't put a </sarcasm> or similar at the end of your post, so I don't know if you were actually being seriously or not.

Its safe to say, even without testing, that a P-M or Dothan would spank the G4 blue if the rest of the hardware were the same.
Not at (for example) RC-5. It's a sad day for a processor when you can't find SOME benchmark it wins at. The G4 wins at a few things due to altivec, and basically only due to altivec. That said, you can pry my AlBook out of my cold dead fingers
Catfish_Man is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:31 AM   #19
oingoboingo
macrumors 6502a
 
oingoboingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish_Man
Not at (for example) RC-5. It's a sad day for a processor when you can't find SOME benchmark it wins at. The G4 wins at a few things due to altivec, and basically only due to altivec. That said, you can pry my AlBook out of my cold dead fingers
If it's an AlBook, your fingers are probably quite warm...almost scorched, in fact
__________________
- 24" 2.8GHz iMac / 512MB nVidia 8800GS
- 15" 2.4GHz MacBook Pro
- 20GB 4G iPod
oingoboingo is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:36 AM   #20
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus
 
edesignuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaszmyr
Talk about wishful thinking
heh, tell me about it, silly me...
__________________
edesignuk is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:58 AM   #21
JeffTL
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Underpants
That's just stereotypical mac/pc poo...
Speed and a decent OS: P-M
ALOT Slower and a good OS: G4

Dude, windows isn't that bad. If windows didn't get the job done, no one would be using it. get real.

edit: I don't want to discuss this mac/pc crap. Just making a point....
And this is the stereotypical "I am not a zealot like I think you are, and if you don't agree with me, you are" troll.

Most of us who speak poorly of Windows do so from experience. I use XP part of the time most days (including right now) and I imagine that I am not the only person who does. Yes, it does often get the job done, but much in the same way MS-DOS does. You can do all your word processing on Wordstar on CP/M if that suits your needs, but that does not meen that it is the best value, or the best way to do your task.
JeffTL is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:28 AM   #22
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract
Um....I'm sorry, but since you didn't put a </sarcasm> or similar at the end of your post, so I don't know if you were actually being seriously or not.

Its safe to say, even without testing, that a P-M or Dothan would spank the G4 blue if the rest of the hardware were the same.
I am quite serious. The Intel Dothan and Pentium-M are computer parts, not computers. The blue PowerMac G4 is a computer. You can't compare computer parts to computers. Or, is this a concept too difficult for you?
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:16 AM   #23
MacRy
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe
I am quite serious. The Intel Dothan and Pentium-M are computer parts, not computers. The blue PowerMac G4 is a computer. You can't compare computer parts to computers. Or, is this a concept too difficult for you?
Yeah but come on mate, seriously, that's just pedantry isn't it. I love Macs but you have to face facts and admit that these Pentium chips walk all over the G4 processor in terms of speed. You can't dodge the argument by offering minutia like that and suggesting that someone can't grasp a concept when you yourself have quite conveniently failed to do so.

Edit: By the way we share the same birthday......there's no point to this statement I just found it interesting.....I need to get out more...

Last edited by MacRy; Aug 22, 2004 at 11:19 AM.
MacRy is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 01:16 PM   #24
beefcake
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Baltimore
Send a message via AIM to beefcake
If by some freak occurence you could put a Pentium-M chipset into a Powerbook and keep everything else the same, I would never dream of ever buying anything except that product. However, I still wouldn't buy an IBM Notebook purely because I hate Windows and don't have the time to figure out Linux.
beefcake is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:00 PM   #25
zv470
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaszmyr
I'm pretty sure the Pentium M is a better chip than the G4 in most regards.
yeah, probably true, but I'd rather use a slow Mac, than a fast PC any day. (well... especially in a mobile arena)
zv470 is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC