Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:05 AM   #1
mobcdi

Remote Desktop Connection Xserve Profiles

Does anyone know if its possible to give each user a profile on an xserve box so that they can VNC or remote desktop connect in to the profile and be given their own instance of a mac Desktop, the hardware would mac it just wouldn't connecting to a unique mac desktop

If thats not possible is there some easy way of giving uses remote access to a mac desktop without having to wire up individual mac desktops?
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:35 PM   #2
calderone
macrumors 68040

It sounds like you are looking for thin clients. This is not something built into OS X server, as far as I know. Here are some possibilities.

1. It sounds like you have individual Macs. Why not use PHDs?
2. 3rd party: http://www.aquaconnect.net/?page%5Fid=26
3. NetBoot, but if you have a Mac that is available for netbooting, you might as well use PHDs.

Only one person can be using a machine at a time, so PHDs would satisfy local logins with user specific profiles or "Desktops."

Maybe I am not interpreting your wants correctly, but one of these would fit the bill.
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 03:35 PM   #3
mobcdi

I'm not familiar with PHD's can you explain it?
I'm lookng for a thin client solution with the mac server hardware providing the power and mac applications to end users the aqua connect may be 1 solution but would like to keep it to apple if possible

I don't have a suite of mac's so netboot wouldn't apply

I guess the best say to describe is apple offer their lab in a cart with the apple cart, I was wondering if they offered the same thing but with just an xserve to have a lab in a server slot
  0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking