Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
Hi there,
I have a iMac G3 with the following specs:

350MHz
512MB RAM
(not sure about the hard drive but it isn't very big)

Now,
Could I upgrade the processor to an Intel, G5, G4 or a better G3.
What is best processor I could put into it?

How much ram at max can it take?

What hard drive can I put into it?

Could I put leopard/ Snow Leopard on it?

Thanks,
John.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
If you want to get to Leopard or Snow Leopard, I'd advise getting a Mac Mini and an external monitor. You'd spend just as much with messing with that G3.

Also, keep in mind the CRT in the G3 carries hazardous voltage. If you go probing around in there, you could get electrocuted in short fashion.

EDIT: I assume you have the slot loading iMac. Here are the specs for it:

http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=imacslot&sort=date&performa=off&order=ASC

MacintoshMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Britain
If you want to get to Leopard or Snow Leopard, I'd advise getting a Mac Mini and an external monitor. You'd spend just as much with messing with that G3.

Also, keep in mind the CRT in the G3 carries hazardous voltage. If you go probing around in there, you could get electrocuted in short fashion.

EDIT: I assume you have the slot loading iMac. Here are the specs for it:

http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=imacslot&sort=date&performa=off&order=ASC

Hi,
I am getting a new iMac 27'' soon but I just would like this G3 as some fun!

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
In theory 700mzh 1GB of ram and 120gb hard drive leopard would not be useable tiger 10.4.11 would be just as good. There still great macs but it may be easier to buy a snow G3 maxed out for $20.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.