Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmvo23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
I think I already know the answer to my question but I just wanted to make sure.

I have my iMac set to share my internet wirelessly to my MacBook and iPhone. Is there a way to get it to work while my iMac is in sleep mode or in some kind of lower power mode that I don't know about? At the moment I just turn the screen off when I'm not using my iMac...I also have it set to automatically shut off at 11pm incase I'm using my laptop in my bedroom watching netflix or something. I'm just thinking about energy consumption and such.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I think I already know the answer to my question but I just wanted to make sure.

I have my iMac set to share my internet wirelessly to my MacBook and iPhone. Is there a way to get it to work while my iMac is in sleep mode or in some kind of lower power mode that I don't know about? At the moment I just turn the screen off when I'm not using my iMac...I also have it set to automatically shut off at 11pm incase I'm using my laptop in my bedroom watching netflix or something. I'm just thinking about energy consumption and such.

Shutting off the display (and maybe the hard drive) is the only way. If you put it to sleep, the computer ceases to function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.