Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Article Link

When Lynn Middlebrooks Geter found that her 12-year-old son's report card wasn't to her liking, she didn't offer to help him with homework or ask teachers for extra instruction. No, she decided something more drastic was in order.

The 38-year-old mom from Warm Springs, Georgia decided the best way for her boy to learn was to kill his pet hamster. With a hammer.

The kid, naturally, was quit upset. What would happen with his next report card? Would he have to beat his sister to death to improve his commitment to math? So he told his teacher about it the next day.

The teacher called social workers, who in turn called the Meriwether County sheriff's department. For her visionary parenting strategies, Geter is now in jail for animal cruelty, child cruelty and battery.

All i can say is "wow" at the moment. Messed up mother indeed.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
After reading the article you linked to, it seems like this might not be as cut and dry as I initially thought. If true, that is indeed one messed up mother.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Unless it was the hamster who was doing the kid's failing work, completely unjustified. :rolleyes: Anyone know a good therapist for this "family"?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Like most stories of this type, I doubt we know anything close to the real story

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have to say, I can't think any good will ever come of bludgeoning rodents with a hammer...unless perhaps it's Monty Python's Mouse Organ.

The article makes the story sound pretty complex though - we don't really know what actually happened, apart from the fact that the kid has scratches on his neck and somebody killed a hamster...

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As many have stated, if the story turns out to be true then it is severe emotional abuse and this family needs some help.

However, due to my extensive history with playing Clue and watching crime dramas on TV, I'm willing to bet it's a frame job and the family cat is quite proud of himself at this moment.

funny-pictures-hamster-is-slain-by-brutus.jpg

:D

emmawu

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Wauwatosa, WI
Let us just hope the highly traumatized child hasn't any more pets. What's next; the kitten, the puppy, daddy. What a horrible person.

What ever happened to being grounded, no tv, internet, phone until homework is done and checked by either parent. How about getting a tutor for the child if he is really having a difficult time with school.

Making a child kill a pet with a hammer is just sick.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
animal cruelty? really? its a freaking hamster!

Okay, point taken. But it's not so much what kind of animal you're dealing with here, it's more the fact that a Mom had her son hammer his pet to death with a hammer. This could have been a cockroach, but if the kid had an emotional attachment to it, I'd still think what the Mom did was pretty sick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.