Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grizzly Adams

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2008
When my Rev A MBA really began to break down I replaced it with an MBP. The hinges and audio were shot. I took it with me to school (university) almost everyday in my backpack and not landing on my two feet every time while skating to and from home and class took it's toll on the machine.

Well, I decided to give it to my younger siblings as something to use for typing their homework and what not. It received even more abuse. The display now flickers and is pink or blue depending on the angle of the lid.

Needless to say, while working, it's not very useful at this point. Any ideas on what to do with it (parts, project, etc.)?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
When my Rev A MBA really began to break down I replaced it with an MBP. The hinges and audio were shot. I took it with me to school (university) almost everyday in my backpack and not landing on my two feet every time while skating to and from home and class took it's toll on the machine.

Well, I decided to give it to my younger siblings as something to use for typing their homework and what not. It received even more abuse. The display now flickers and is pink or blue depending on the angle of the lid.

Needless to say, while working, it's not very useful at this point. Any ideas on what to do with it (parts, project, etc.)?

Turn it into a desktop?

quadG5guy

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Richmond, VA
Sounds like you got your moneys worth out of it. Take it to your county waste transfer station. They accept hazardous waste and usually have a bin specifically for used electronic devices and computers. These devices contain heavy metals and other toxins and should NOT be tossed out with normal household trash.

Cancelled
May 30, 2007
Sounds like you got your moneys worth out of it. Take it to your county waste transfer station. They accept hazardous waste and usually have a bin specifically for used electronic devices and computers. These devices contain heavy metals and other toxins and should NOT be tossed out with normal household trash.

Say what? I'd take it happily before it goes to the dumpster.

I still haven't bought my first computer and after today it'll be a good while. I'm completely unimpressed with the iPad...

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
I'd quite happily offer you some money for it (>$100). PM me with some photos if you're interested.

Grizzly Adams

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2008
Thanks for the input so far guys, I'm definitely not tossing it. I'm thinking that I can probably at least do something with it or from the parts, not sure what yet though. Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

I'll let the people in here know if I decide to sell it soon.

bammac

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Melbourne
I used my old PowerBook as a download machine. It has a faulty LCD as well so i just leave it connected to the network, minus the battery. It sits there managing my downloads and leaves my other MBP free to do other things.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
You can always use it as a torrent/server machine. Granted, since the best LAN connection you can squeeze out of it is about 480Mbps (USB) and you'll have to share that with some sort of external hard drive, it won't be a super fast server but it's still decent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.