Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phaedarus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
When Steve Jobs was quoted, "This is the most important thing I've done in my life", I suspected he wasn't just referring to the fact that the upcoming tablet would be a grand fad as the iPhone.

If my hunch is correct, Apple wants everyone to own a tablet powered by Apple. In fact, they want tablets to become just as ubiquitous as they were in every episode of Star Trek, The Next Generation.

What's the selling point if not the specs? Why, becoming a part of the first generation to herald the beginning a paperless world, of course. No more waste generated by piles of drafts which further cuts down on the demand for pulp; something that suits the enviornmentalists quite nicely (a tertiary market for Apple).

One of the problematic issues with Macbooks and iPhones is their inflexibility as portable devices when passed from person to person.

When you want to show someone something on a laptop, they have to physically take your seating place or angle their bodies to see your work. If you pass a notebook over, the recipient has to make accommodations by clearing space in front of them. Very inconvenient when you think about it.

Obviously, the iPhone is physically smaller and less bulky but impractical to read lengthy documents with due to the screen size and constant need to flick your finger to view the next page. Try reading a large PDF file sometime on your iPhone; believe me, it sucks.

These gadgets simply don't have the versatility of a printed page. You can't simply hand them off to someone and you can't curl up with them like a good novel in your reading chair or bed.

The Apple tablet could be a perfect compromise to become the first ebook reader to get everything right while still being powerful enough to work with commonly used applications whose documents you can then show to colleagues in a more casual manner.

I can see corporate editions of the tablet being offered in a wafer thin format as dumb terminals with limited storage space connected wirelessly to a server (Apple's Xserve perhaps?). A damaged or lossed tablet will therefore not constitute a loss of any data and can be disassociated from the server for security reasons.

This could also be the key to Apple re-establishing its dominance in the educational sector by providing students in select schools with their own tablet.

The concept is nothing new by any means, but this could be the first product of its kind to be widely adopted.

Do I expect the Apple tablet to be showcased tomorrow to be exactly this?

No. It will be hyped as a new computing experience with a price tag to match.

However, I fully expect this to be the natural evolution that Steve Jobs wants the tablet to follow - just as seen on Star Trek.

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
Yeah, we all want one of those.

The actual name for the device in TNG-world is PADD, which stands for Personal Access Display Device. I kind of feel like my Kindle2 is like that mostly because it makes the same sound when I put it on a table as the PADD does on the show.

John

Greytail

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Too bad the geeks at Apple don't watch Trek. The thing they created is just an over sized iPod. Doesn't even do 16x9 video. The bad thing is, everyone will eat it up like it's going out of style and Apple will think that's what the masses want instead of a sleek and sexy gadget that would make you want to use it every day.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
The bad thing is, everyone will eat it up like it's going out of style and Apple will think that's what the masses want instead of a sleek and sexy gadget that would make you want to use it every day.

If everyone eats it up, isn't that by definition what the masses want?

JonboyDC

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
Back when I used my MessagePad in law school, I always felt very Star Trek whenever I pulled it out to show notes to a classmate. (And using the IR port to beam notes to printers in the library to I could give a copy to said classmate? Even better). I fully expect the iPad to give me that very same futuristic feel.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
The first problem with your Star Trek analogy is that is sounds anal. The second problem is in Star Trek, the tablets were not locked to Itunes.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.