Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last night Derek Powazek of Fray published an opinion piece called "What I Hope Apple Unleashes Tomorrow". As both a print and online publisher, Powazek provides some excellent insight into the promise of a mainstream Apple tablet with regard to content providers. He concludes:
It's the same hole they filled with the iPod. When it came out, there were CDs on one side (physical media for sale) and file-sharing on the other (free but dodgy). The iPod filled the media experience gap, and the iTunes store filled the payment side. Many pundits said it wouldn't work. It worked.

The same could happen here. Apple could release a device that makes consuming media fun, is able to show any PDF beautifully (just like the iPod would play any MP3), and offers new media for sale in the iTunes store. If they did it right, publishers like me might finally be able to sell something digital that people would actually buy.
The entire piece is worth a read as it may offer the best explanation of why people might need or want a Tablet.

As it turns out, Powzek's dream may be in line with some of Apple's plans. Wired posts a last minute story that claims Apple's focus on Wednesday's event will be on "reinventing content, not tablets".
Apple’s goal is to offer a new platform for content creators to reinvent books, magazines and online content — in addition to offering a new avenue for content producers to make money. That platform will likely be far broader than just a tablet device, and will extend to every device or computer that iTunes touches.
The "creation" reference in the invitation reportedly has to do with content providers who will publish their wares through iTunes using HTML5, Javascript and multimedia. Wired imagines that while the tablet will be the focus, this content could also be played back on laptops, iPhones, iPod Touches or even the Apple TV.

Apple has been aggressively trying to sign on book publishers, and a report from the Wall Street Journal indicates that Apple taking Amazon head on in its negotiations with book publishers. Apple is reportedly looking to set hardcover best sellers at $12.99 and $14.99, above Amazon's current $9.99 pricing. Apple is looking to allow publishers to set their own prices for books, shifting some of the power back to the publishers.

Apple's media event kicks off at 1pm Eastern, 10am Pacific today, Wednesday January 27th.

Article Link: Apple's Focus on Content and Possible eBook Pricing

Digitaldruglord

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
Guys are slow on rumors today

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/01/2...poils-apple-tablet-event-drops-major-details/

Functions and features:

OLED screen
solar pad for recharging on the back (the device is mainly battery-powered)
the tablet is running on an iPhone OS variation
it can run multiple apps at the same time
it has thumb pads on each side (for mouse gestures)
fingerprint verification (up to 5 profiles can be registered on one device)
HDTV tuner, a PVR and a chess game built-in
back camera and front camera (quote: “u shoot what’s in front of you + yourself. Augmented video conferncing!”)
wireless keyboard + monitor connection for external monitors

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/01/2...poils-apple-tablet-event-drops-major-details/

Functions and features:

OLED screen
back camera and front camera (quote: “u shoot what’s in front of you + yourself. Augmented video conferncing!”)

We didn't post this because it's crap. :)

arn

coz707

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Some south of the equator
"Apple is reportedly looking to set hardcover best sellers at $12.99 and $14.99, above Amazon's current $9.99 pricing."

????Hardcover books on a tablet????:rolleyes:
great, will the tablet have revolutionary new feature where you can feel leather on it :)

on the ads it will say "I text but i also text-ure":D

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
I had a dream last night... I dreamt the Apple tablet (or whatever) will shock us by being FREE...and that apple would make their revenue from content...

Everyone would want one, and to get one you'd tie into a contract not just for airtime but for content too...with tiered pricing just like usual handsets...

Dunno, sounds VERY unlikely, but hey it was a nice thought!

Sure a lot of people wouldn't be mind being locked into a subscription model iTunes(.com?) if we got a shiny new apple tablet to play with

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
The problem I have with the eBook content element of it is the likely high cost of the books. Apple's track record with iTunes content in general is pretty poor, since buying physical media such as CDs, DVDs and DVD box sets is almost always cheaper than buying from iTunes. Downloads should be cheaper than physical media since there are no manufacturing, distribution or retail space costs, just a bit of bandwidth.

Also LED/OLED is unsuitable for reading outside without hammering the battery, and I expect an eBook to be readable in the same places as a real book and with long battery life, or it's no good for travel. I'm sure the tablet will do other good stuff in addition to eBooks, but it's probably not going to do that part of it as well as Kindle etc, and at a higher price for the content.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
As much as I am getting drawn into the hype surrounding this announcement of an entire new product from Apple, I have severe difficulty imagining myself reading the whole content of a book in something other than the proven paper book-form. The book-metaphor just has a nice feeling to it when you sit with it between your hands on your favorite chair / couch.

Especially if the digital copy costs the same as the paperback.

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Podcast?

It was only a few years ago when Apple introduced podcasts to itunes, do you think the same could happen with Blogs?

If you think about it you could blog on the move and have it automatically sync to itunes. People can then subscribe to your blog (as you do with a podcast) and they can read it on the go?

I think that would be a pretty good idea. Some people have interesting things to say, but there isn't anywhere they can go to get it out to the public.

I might just be talking complete horse poo though.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Apple is reportedly looking to set hardcover best sellers at $12.99 and $14.99, above Amazon's current $9.99 pricing.
If the books come without DRM, I'd say the extra is worth it. Otherwise, I would not pay, as I don't need interactivity from my books. Of course, I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for an ebook reader just for the ease of storing books with a less practical medium to read. (especially if DRM stops me from being able to read them years later or lend them to my friends.)

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
As much as I am getting drawn into the hype surrounding this announcement of an entire new product from Apple, I have severe difficulty imagining myself reading the whole content of a book in something other than the proven paper book-form. The book-metaphor just has a nice feeling to it when you sit with it between your hands on your favorite chair / couch.

Especially if the digital copy costs the same as the paperback.
I know what you mean, but for travel it makes a lot of sense. I took 10 paperbacks on my last trip, and that's a lot of weight.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
The problem I have with the eBook content element of it is the likely high cost of the books. Apple's track record with iTunes content in general is pretty poor, since buying physical media such as CDs, DVDs and DVD box sets is almost always cheaper than buying from iTunes. Downloads should be cheaper than physical media since there are no manufacturing, distribution or retail space costs, just a bit of bandwidth.

You should look up the cost of buying and running a server farm. The data does just not materialize from thin air the moment you push a download button on your screen.

But I digress, I would like digital downloads to be cheaper, especially in regards to iTunes and other media.

I would never buy a digital copy of a book unless the cost of the paper version were much, much higher.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
If they did it right, publishers like me might finally be able to sell something digital that people would actually buy.
Well, this sounds kinda cocky. The ebook reader market is expanding wonderfully.

This can in no way be a competitor to the Kindle and ebook readers from other companies.

Like someone already mentioned, an active display requires too much power and even more importantly - it's uncomfortable to read. Ebook readers are popular because of their e-ink displays, they are very close to books in the eye-comfort area.

I'd read a magazine/newspaper on an OLED screen, perhaps, but not a book.

A tablet is much more useful for more interactive content because of a better screen and input controls, more processing power, etc. Because of this, I doubt the tablet will primarily rely on content, there has to be something else.

dblake

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2007
USA
If the books come without DRM, I'd say the extra is worth it. Otherwise, I would not pay, as I don't need interactivity from my books. Of course, I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for an ebook reader just for the ease of storing books with a less practical medium to read. (especially if DRM stops me from being able to read them years later or lend them to my friends.)

Agreed. Otherwise, I'll continue to use Amazon's kindle app to read eBooks.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Extremely good article that goes in detail what Apple could do to bring print media and online media together, just like the iPod brought CD's and digital audio together. A recommended read!

If Steve Jobs and Apple, do implement what the author suggests, we will have a very useful tool (tablet) for viewing and selling various kinds of media.

Middling

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Only yesterday we had a story about Apple trying to pressure TV content providers to lower their content from $1.99, and now Apple plan to sell textual content at up to $14.99?!

That price is obscene. You could purchase the physical version (with shipping) for less. IMO there is rarely any justification for an ebook to exceed $4.99 in price, even Amazon's standard $9.99 is vastly overpriced.

Fortunately, with the recent changes to Amazon's Kindle DTP program, things are becoming far more favourable to authors who wish to self-publish. I know that if i ever get around to finishing my book i'll be pushing it out on the Kindle DTP platform for $2.99 (the lowest you can set the price and still receive 70% of the proceeds) and i hope there will be a vast explosion of authors who do the same.

Gatesbasher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2009

Functions and features:

OLED screen

The fingerprint reader is a security device—if anyone but you touches the tablet, it explodes.

(Seriously, the funniest part is the solar panel on the back, which will always be facing down! Who is this Gomer?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.