Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Ramsgate UK
As per the title really.

I have an unresponsive screen on an iPhone 3G, I want to replace the screen but I cant turn it off.

Is there any other way to turn the iphone off without having to slide to power off?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
You have to reboot it first (by holding down both buttons until the white Apple appears) and then shut it down.

Rob1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Ramsgate UK
Thanks for the replies, but when I hold the power and home buttons for ten seconds the phone goes to the apple logo then restarts to the lock screen where I cant do anything because the digitizer is faulty.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Thanks for the replies, but when I hold the power and home buttons for ten seconds the phone goes to the apple logo then restarts to the lock screen where I cant do anything because the digitizer is faulty.

Sorry I got confused and thought you couldn't see the screen. Just hold home and power until it shuts off (about 7 secs).

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006

What the above poster means is your should hold the home and sleep buttons down until the screen goes black, then immediately release. This will turn it off without rebooting. Holding them down a second longer will cause it to reboot.

Rob1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Ramsgate UK
What the above poster means is your should hold the home and sleep buttons down until the screen goes black, then immediately release. This will turn it off without rebooting. Holding them down a second longer will cause it to reboot.

Cheers worked a treat, now here's hoping the new screen works

VarunM

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
How to turn iphone off

Hold and press down the Sleep/Wake button for few seconds. If you just pressed the button once, the screen will go dark but will not turn off your iPhone.
You need to hold the button until you get a screen with “Red Arrow” at the top of the screen displaying “slide to power off.” But if have changed your mind then you can simply tap the cancel button which will appear at the bottom of the screen.
To switch the device off, place your finger on the red arrow and slide it towards the right side.
As your phone is shutting down you will see a spinning circle in the middle of screen. This will shut down your device.
http://gm.kochar.com/post/how-to-turn-your-iphone-on-and-off.aspx

Prutessa

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
giant image on 4s screen

Actually, just hold the home and power buttons for like 10 seconds and the phone will turn off.

THANK YOU for this. It worked for me. My recurring problem: From time to time, my screen goes JUMBO size to the point where I can't get to the slide bar. Any idea why? Do I have a defective phone? The other iPhone users I know don't have this problem.

Thx.

dileepv

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2015
giant image on 4s screen

THANK YOU for this. It worked for me. My recurring problem: From time to time, my screen goes JUMBO size to the point where I can't get to the slide bar. Any idea why? Do I have a defective phone? The other iPhone users I know don't have this problem.

Thx.
Hi

I have iPhone 5 purchased 3 years back in US and I am now in India.
So, I couldn't get it repaired for lock button issue thru Apple India Support as well.
Next, I upgraded to iOS 9 recently and started facing issue. Touch screen occasionally stops working.
I must wait for whole battery to get drained. I couldn't find any other option to turn the phone off. Is it issue with iOS 9? Please let me know how to turn off and turn on my iPhone immediately. Any help is greatly appreciated.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What do i do if my home button isn't working?
Can you enable and use Assistive Touch? Or are you saying your screen isn't working in addition to the home button not working? In which case, perhaps basically just letting the battery run own is the way to go as far as turning the device off.

lolashakes

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2016
O
Can you enable and use Assistive Touch? Or are you saying your screen isn't working in addition to the home button not working? In which case, perhaps basically just letting the battery run own is the way to go as far as turning the device off.
Oay thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.