Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Jan 27, 2010, 02:59 PM   #1
cflorio
macrumors member

iPad Camera Connection Kit

The Apple website shows:

The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.

So, using either a 3rd party app or the photo app that comes with the iPad, can I hook my DSLR (Canon 5D Mark II) up and then show a picture within seconds of taking it on that big screen? I will buy one of these if I can do that.
cflorio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:01 PM   #2
and.sleepless
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflorio View Post
The Apple website shows:

The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.

So, using either a 3rd party app or the photo app that comes with the iPad, can I hook my DSLR (Canon 5D Mark II) up and then show a picture within seconds of taking it on that big screen? I will buy one of these if I can do that.
I think other programs can do this faster, I think my Nikon D300s comes with tethering software that works for Mac/Windows.
I hope its a instant.. Shutter Press... View image on Ipad sort of thing. If it is I'll buy it the day its out in Canada.
and.sleepless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:09 PM   #3
grovertdog
macrumors regular

Looks like you can. My 5d will be happy.

Check out this page to see a pic of the camera connection kit.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
grovertdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Juventuz
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Juventuz
I just see it as Apple milking the customer any way they can. There's no reason to exclude an sd slot or USB port on the iPad.
Juventuz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601

Steve "form over function" Jobs could have made it a desktop replacement with every port imaginable but we know that's not how it works. Lets be glad there's an OPTION! He could've just said "no buttons, no slots, no holes, no nothing."
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:06 PM   #6
robotartfashion
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovertdog View Post

I don't see where it says "instant view available"

The concern here is that a company, i.e. canon, adobe, or capture one to name the biggies would have to take the time and $ to make such a niche software product. Apple certainly won't cut them any deals or share in the costs associated as this is not marketed for pro photogs.

It would be different if this was OSX but with the iPhone OS it's most likely a no go.....that is unless you want to start developing for the iPhone!!

So I would stay that you're "stuck" with a macbook pro and a sunshade or with a big enough budget and crew/truck a Mac Pro and 30" cinema screen and tech running them (but who has those budgets anymore?)
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:22 PM   #7
SanderEvers
macrumors newbie

Just wondering:

Will we be able to use it on a iPhone / iPod Touch? As the iPad uses iPhone OS?
SanderEvers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:31 AM   #8
cflorio
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderEvers View Post
Just wondering:

That question has also occurred to me.
cflorio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:39 AM   #9
agkm800
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyisgreat View Post
Steve "form over function" Jobs could have made it a desktop replacement with every port imaginable but we know that's not how it works. Lets be glad there's an OPTION! He could've just said "no buttons, no slots, no holes, no nothing."
Form over function? Did you see that fat ugly bezel?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:51 AM   #10
imacdaddy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovertdog View Post

I think we will need to rely on 3rd party app developers to come up with something for a live view or even better to use as a video assist monitor for video shooting. I'd love to tether my 5DMII to this iPad for timelapse shooting!

It has potential...only time will tell.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:58 AM   #11
JonboyDC
macrumors regular

I suspect it will work a lot like the camera connection kit for the first color-screen iPods. With that, you plugged the camera in and the camera went into the mode it usually does when exporting pictures to a computer -- which means the camera is generally unusable during that period of time.

(In fact, I still keep my original color iPod because when I travel, I like to have it available as backup storage for all my photos. I've never understood why Apple dropped this feature from later iPods and the iPhone.)
JonboyDC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:50 PM   #12
nextdimension
macrumors newbie

This should be possible but the app would have to come from Canon. If the kit doesn't also work on iPhone/iPodTouch then shame on Apple.
nextdimension is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:53 PM   #13
calderone
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by agkm800 View Post
Form over function? Did you see that fat ugly bezel?
I guess you would rather have your hands covering the display?
calderone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:57 PM   #14
skubish
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflorio View Post
The Apple website shows:

This adapter has been around for years. I have an old one I used with my iPod. It no longer works with current iPods. I am pretty sure it is just a dock connector to USB adapter. The photo transfer is all handled through software.

My big concern is that it won't support RAW format. I hope it does support RAW or a 3rd party app does.
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:14 PM   #15
ugp
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
This gives a great way to off load your photos while on a trip to an external storage. No need for tons of SDs card with the iPad.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 06:07 AM   #16
Phil Lee
macrumors 6502

This is a compelling reason for me to get an iPad. It would be so much easier to take one on a trip than a laptop for transferring photos.
Phil Lee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 09:16 AM   #17
ugp
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
Gives an awesome way to upload photos from my digital camera to sites like Facebook or any other Photo sharing site with an App. I don't always want iPhone quality pictures.

I have a baby due soon and it will give me a way to share photos from the hospital with family really quickly.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:10 AM   #18
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugp View Post
I have a baby due soon and it will give me a way to share photos from the hospital with family really quickly.
As if people really want to see your baby fresh out the womb.
Just kidding. It seems like they hound you until you send pictures then hound you until they see the baby
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:14 AM   #19
mackmgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderEvers View Post
Just wondering:

I doubt it, as the iPhone/iPod touch doesn't have the software to import photos. Now if a 3rd party dev used this connector, I don't see why not, but apple doesn't have a program for importing the photos on the iPhone/iPod.

Also, if this thing could sync with an EyeFi, then that'd be amazing, taking a picture, and it instantly showing up on your digital picture frame
mackmgg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:21 AM   #20
Lordedmond
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugp View Post
This gives a great way to off load your photos while on a trip to an external storage. No need for tons of SDs card with the iPad.
it not big enough for that as sd cards run out at up to 32 gb one card and its full

one pic from my 7D is 25 mb that soon fills up a card ( yes it takes CF not SD )
Lordedmond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:13 PM   #21
JonboyDC
macrumors regular

Quote:
I really doubt it. It looks almost exactly like the camera connection kit for the iPod, which only works with the first generation color-screen iPods, even though there's no reason it shouldn't have been made to work with all subsequent iPods (or at least all subsequent iPods with screens).
JonboyDC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:22 PM   #22
davidangel
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventuz View Post
I just see it as Apple milking the customer any way they can. There's no reason to exclude an sd slot or USB port on the iPad.
I agree. Card slot and usb would be nice. Not surprising though, Apple usually keeps a tight reign on these things...
davidangel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:25 PM   #23
ugp
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordedmond View Post
it not big enough for that as sd cards run out at up to 32 gb one card and its full

one pic from my 7D is 25 mb that soon fills up a card ( yes it takes CF not SD )
Well damn that is one large photo. For most users I guess it would work well. I myself have a 8MP Nikon. Pics are around 3MB in size each.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:31 PM   #24
roland.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyisgreat View Post
At that size not to mention weight and price there is NO WAY to get all those ports on there. The dock connector with accessory is the only really viable option. You can't put ports on the back or around the thin side as it would have to almost double in thickness, and that speaks nothing at all as to the complications of adding those chips to the motherboard.

Why did firewire go away from the iPod, b/c it wasn't prevalent enough, every Mac and PC had USB 2.0 and they couldn't continue to shrink the size of the device and have both the FW and USB components inside the device along with a battery, screen, RAM buffer, and HD.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:37 PM   #25
RazHyena
macrumors 6502a

No iSight either. Seems like it's the perfect thing to use for video chats on the couch with.

So much for it being the "ultimate internet device." How much is this camera kit going to cost?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories