Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 28, 2010, 07:22 AM   #1
snatchblock
macrumors newbie

iBook G4 Grey screen

Hi,
I loaned my old iBook G4 to a friend, and it has been returned unuseable, can anyone suggest a way to go forward?

When the machine is turned on I simply get a grey screen with a small file in the middle with an alternating ? and the finder picture (two faces). The chap that borrowed the machine fancies himself as a bit of an expert on mac, but is clearly not. He was apparently trying to "upgrade" the machine. But cannot "remember" what exactly he did!

Any ideas would be greatfully received!
snatchblock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Kim Philby
macrumors newbie

It can't find a boot device. It either can't see the HDD or there is no OS on the HDD.
Kim Philby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 01:37 PM   #3
snatchblock
macrumors newbie

Not sure I understood that

Hi, thanks for the reply, but I am not sure I understood it! I have tried to start the machine from a disc, whilst holding in the C button, with no result.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Joewebster
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchblock View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply, but I am not sure I understood it! I have tried to start the machine from a disc, whilst holding in the C button, with no result.
I don't get how you don't understand what he said. He said that either the iBook doesn't see it's hard drive, or Mac OS X wasn't installed.

And to address your problem with the machine not booting from disk, I have no idea.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:32 PM   #5
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchblock View Post
And what "disc" were you attempting to boot from?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 02:10 AM   #6
snatchblock
macrumors newbie

HI,

I tried to "restart" the machine using the iBook G4 Mac OS X install disc. No joy.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Kim Philby
macrumors newbie

Okay - try this. Boot the unit and hold down the "option" key. Keep holding the option key until something shows up on the screen. At this point there will be 2 icons on the screen. The one on the left is a refresh button and the one on the right is the next or continue button. What will be displayed in between these icons are all the boot options the unit sees. If there is nothing there, then there is no boot device. At this point, you can insert a cd give it a few seconds and hit the refresh button and see if it shows up on the screen. If all you see is the CD then the unit is not recognizing the internal hard drive. if you see the internal hard drive and the cd then the unit recognizes them both as boot devices. Highlight the device you want to boot to and click the continue button. If the unit see both, then all is not lost and it's probably just the software on the hard drive. You can reinstall the OS from a CD to fix this. If the unit only sees the CD you inserted, ten the unit does not see the hard drive and you have to have it replaced.

To boot directly to the CD, place a Mac OS system CD in the optical disc drive, press the start button and hold down the C key.

Try these too:
Reset PRAM (Press the power button, then hold down the Option-Command-P-R keys until you hear the startup chime at least one additional time after the initial startup chime).
Reset the power manager by pressing the key combination Control-Option-Shift- power.
Kim Philby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:51 AM   #8
snatchblock
macrumors newbie

Thank you

Kim,

Many thanks for your clear and helpful instructions! They have fixed the problem.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs