Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craftyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
I accidentally reset my iPod to factory defaults and as a result have lost a lot of important data. Is it possible to recover the data?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Not unless you are willing to pay Drive Savers a lot of money to get it back.

There are some utilities that may help you out, but nothing is 100%--not even Drive Savers. Give this a try.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Man, that is bad news, There may be some hope in norton or something like that but this is why I always keep multiple backups.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I don't want to rub salt in the wound or anything, but why on earth would someone keep their only copy of important stuff on an iPod? Sure, reformatting may have been an accident, but you just as easily could have lost the iPod or had it stolen, or dropped it. I hope you somehow get your files back...but I hope you have learned a valuable lesson about backing up too - too bad it was the hard way.....oh yeah!

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
jane doe said:
Man, that is bad news, There may be some hope in norton or something like that but this is why I always keep multiple backups.
There's no hope in Norton. I like the multiple backups method myself. Inconvenience is much better than catastrophe.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Horrortaxi said:
There's no hope in Norton. I like the multiple backups method myself. Inconvenience is much better than catastrophe.

Agreed, I keep 3 backups of everthing at all times and one of them in a different geographic location in case of fire/theft/flood/wife :)

craftyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...I don't want to rub salt in the wound or anything, but why on earth would someone keep their only copy of important stuff on an iPod? Sure, reformatting may have been an accident, but you just as easily could have lost the iPod or had it stolen, or dropped it. I hope you somehow get your files back...but I hope you have learned a valuable lesson about backing up too - too bad it was the hard way.....oh yeah!

I just put it on the iPod for storage for about a day because I needed to reformat my PC. Windows was causing too much trouble. Heck it wasn't even my PC, which makes the whole deal ten times worse. I've tried telling the owners to switch but they just don't want to listen. There loss I suppose. Anyway, I think I will pay to get the drive recovered by experts. Knowing me in bad situations, I'd probably screw it up further.

Anyway guys, thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.