Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
First half of 2005 is the official estimate. It really depends on long it will take to test and debug it. This update is huge compared to Panther. I hope it encourages Apple to ship machines with more powerful graphics cards in the future. It probably is at least 6 months away. I couldn't wait.

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
It's coming out next year. It's coming out next year. It's coming out next year. (in response to your three question marks)

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I would buy now and worry about upgrading later.
Tiger is at least six months away (we'll probably get a better idea of exactly when at next January's MWSF keynote), so you'll probably be waiting quite a while if you don't go ahead and buy now.

Just keep in mind that the upgrade from Panther to Tiger will probably (we really don't know for sure) cost $129, just like previous OS X versions.

At the same time, Tiger will be the last major upgrade to OS X for quite a while. So, while $129 might sound like a lot, you probably won't have to shell it out again for another upgrade for a couple of years.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
STOP

Quit worrying about tiger. Seriously. Months and months. It makes me ALMOST wish that Apple didn't bother releasing beta versions that seem to be easily accessible through P2P networks. If you need a mac, BUY IT and quit worrying about upgrade costs. In all honesty, if you can afford a mac, you can afford a $129 upgrade in a few months. CHRIST!

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
i'm kinda hoping apple don't wait too long to release a new one after tiger. cerrtainly not "a couple of years away". if we can sneak another major update between Tiger and Longhorn, that features some crazy something, that'd be awesome. :cool:

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
official estimate is first half 2005, but if i remember correctly it is also officially stated that tiger will be around for a longer time than jaguar/panther, so they'd likely take a longer time to make it right - so i'd guess WWDC2005 in june/july/whatever would be when it's released.

so now would still be a good time to buy panther, as tiger might be almost a year away (!) and panther too is a vast improvement over jaguar.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
JFreak said:
official estimate is first half 2005, but if i remember correctly it is also officially stated that tiger will be around for a longer time than jaguar/panther, so they'd likely take a longer time to make it right -

Is Tiger a complete rebuild? I thought it used the same "core" as Panther so its really just a big upgrade.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
EGT said:
Is Tiger a complete rebuild? I thought it used the same "core" as Panther so its really just a big upgrade.

I don't think there is such a thing as a complete rebuild in Mac OS X. Tiger is an upgrade to Panther, which was an upgrade to Jaguar, which was an upgrade to whatever.

There are various new things under the covers and I would imagine that they'll sync the BSD layer again to the latest stable FreeBSD release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.