Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I know that the iPad will be "unlocked" so that technically you could use service other than AT&T. However, I'm assuming its still locked into the appstore/ibook ecosystem.

I'm wondering what potential the iPad could have jailbroken?

gazzamac

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
I for one would like to see the ipad jailbroken to take advantage of multitasking facilitators like "backgrounder" so we can utilize more of the CPU's resources.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's definitely jailbreakable. If you can put official Apple software on there then it follows that you can also put unofficial software on. The question is how much effort it takes to trick the device :)

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Once it is jailbroke then it will be useful.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I remember it took a while for the iPod touch to be jailbroken, I think it will get jailbroken at least a month after it comes out. The hardware and software will be quite different.

Jailbreaking the iPad will be amazing, I can't possibly imagine the possibilities. I'm going to leave mine stock for a long time though, probably won't JB until a few months after the first JB is successful.

I highly doubt you could get any form of "MAC OS" installed on there. It just won't work well as you need several things to get it to work. It's much easier to make a Hackintosh than it would be to install a MAC OS onto this thing. The Linux idea as mentioned above is much more likely.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I remember it took a while for the iPod touch to be jailbroken, I think it will get jailbroken at least a month after it comes out. The hardware and software will be quite different.

Jailbreaking the iPad will be amazing, I can't possibly imagine the possibilities. I'm going to leave mine stock for a long time though, probably won't JB until a few months after the first JB is successful.

I highly doubt you could get any form of "MAC OS" installed on there. It just won't work well as you need several things to get it to work. It's much easier to make a Hackintosh than it would be to install a MAC OS onto this thing. The Linux idea as mentioned above is much more likely.

I never jailbroke my iPhone, but I actually think the iPad might have more potential as a jailbroken device. It would be hilarious if someone could get android to run on the iPad, but that's not possible. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.