Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sleepy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2001
Anything?

Probably not, although Ive read some accurate predictions in the past...

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
next macworld is very important

here is what is obvious:

we are officially in a recession...as if we didn't know

the apple stock, while having gone up some, is still very low

the IT field for personal computers and the christmas season in general this year both experienced historical lows

...so it is obvious that apple needs to dazzle next week

...having listened to the rumors over and over, i am sure apple will deliver and i am not too worried over the state of things for january 7th

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Stuff

Fact: The Motorola PPC 7460 (G4++) does exist, and is set for an early 2002 release. (It is supposed to be 1, 1.13, and 1.26Ghz, but this hasn't been confirmed.)

Fact: The IBM 750fx (Sahara, or new G3) exists. It runs at 800mhz-1ghz, uses very little power, and produces very little heat.

Fact: Apple has ordered 100,000 15" LCD monitors.

Fact (I think): Quanta has a contract from Apple to produce a number (1,000,000 I think, but I can't remember) of all-in-one LCD computers.

Rumor: The Motorola PPC 8500 (G5) is in production at 800mhz, 1ghz, 1.2ghz, 1.4ghz, and 1.6ghz, with the latter three aimed at desktop computing. Rumor has it that it still needs too much testing to be released at MWSF. Also, with the 7460, and 750fx, they would have to make a new product line to put the G5 in.

Rumor: There will be an LCD iMac with IBM's Sahara chip. This seems very likely, given facts 2, 3, and 4.

Summary: I think we will see: new PowerMacs (1Ghz, 1.13Ghz, 1.26Ghz), LCD iMac (800Mhz, 900Mhz, 1Ghz).

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: Catfish_Man nailed it

I just hope that the whole powermac line is taken beyond the Ghz barrier. I dont want a model that is just below it, say 967Mhz! This is only because I want a Ghz machine!!

groov'

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2001
Netherlands
nothin' else to do?

All you guys are doin' is repeatin' the repeated guesses of al those superteragigarepeaters.

Take jeforsohatfield: 'senior' repeater first class. I thought you were pc-techie. So you must have a lot of other things to do. Does your boss know that you are a full time applestylewriter?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i hope not

think of me as a microsoft franchise where i am the owner yet there is this guy like bill dictating my moves like there is a clown dictating how and what is sold for how much at a mcdonald's franchise

i am a microsoft certified professional and i keep bill's machines running whenever there is a call so that means days off are at the whimsy of the computer

during downtimes or lulls, i jump on this post whether it's 3 pm or 3 am but i am honest and don't bill those hours...but bill g would as i am sure he bills people in his sleep

but out of the 1.1 million m$ engineers, network admins, and ms office pros out there...i bet none is as passionate about the mac as i am and i am sure mr g would consider me a traitor since i don't think the world should revolve around windows

ha ha ha

ps - welcome to macrumors and realize that after 18 months on board for me, you too will have a gazillion posts if you stay that long not to mention corresponding with members via email

...member is at 30 and senior member is at 100 but who knows what lies at 1000...maybe spikey or me will get there by next year, but spikey is around 500 at 9 months and i am a little over 600 at 18 months so his batting average still is better than mine by 2 to 1

[Edited by jefhatfield on 12-30-2001 at 12:00 PM]

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: i hope not

I doubt if mr gates will be too unhappy! After all, he owns a TiBook!!!

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Really?

So does he really use the Ti as his portable? Where'd you get this info? I'd love to see the article ;)

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I would rather...

Have apple wait until Macworld Tokyo to launch the G5. Why launch a G4 processor in Jan when it will be replaced in Feb??? If they do launch, however a G4 in Jan, then we will probably see the G5 at Macworld New York :(!!!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: Really?

It was in an article a while back in macword I think. I actually think he uses macs quite a lot! I will look the article up for you.

samy85114

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2001
.... we are in a recession so Apple needs to make a big move, have to release something big...so i'm pretty sure G5 will be annonce on january, 7. I guess, it won't be available on that day... but they should go further and it's better than nothing. Just about keeping them in line.
Because, you know, a lot of people judge a computer by looking the processor's clock speed.

They don't even know the real power of a Mac. That's why Apple must offers more significant processor speed. And that's a good for us, we could get more powerful Mac.

Well, That's my opinion, maybe i'm wrong.Anyway, on monday morning, we'll know the real truth!

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Isn't suprising

That Bill Gates has a Ti. After all he always tells every one (whether he is being starcastic or not) that he loves the mac platform.

samy85114

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2001
Sure he likes Mac platform

Did you take a look to his own OS, it's **** :)
whether he's smart or not ( ...and he's a smart guy )

how could you hate a Mac??? it,S impossible :)

Sleepy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2001
I hope they perform!

Ive been in the market for a new computer for a while...

Weve always had a pc, but I would like to "try" a mac out...

The problem is, why would I buy a 1ghz mac when Ill probably be able to get a 2ghz pc for almost half the price.
Even if hypothetically speaking, the pc only performs at half of its capabilities, its still going to be close to the mac and yet still be way cheaper... this is crazy!

I dont understand you mac owners! Burn a hundred for me, please! Just kidding.

Seriously though... If it wasnt for the loyaly, apple would be ****ed. Im pretty open minded, but why would I be so stupid? Esthetics are important, but for two months earnings... I can ignore the way my pc looks.

This january is going to be a clincher.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
and for the OS,

i'm pretty surprised, i use both macs and pcs, and on a 1.3 athlon i'm running XP and it hasn't crashed yet, except for the bog that really pisses me off which is when you try and look at folders with large amounts of images inside, the folder has an error and closes. i can't get at any of my graphic design stuff. i can't even open the docs from photoshop.

Jack Tors

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2001
Originally posted by Sleepy
Anything?

Probably not, although Ive read some accurate predictions in the past...

Go away with your listing of your machines. That's really gay.

rizzo

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2001
Re: I hope they perform!

The problem is, why would I buy a 1ghz mac when Ill probably be able to get a 2ghz pc for almost half the price.
Even if hypothetically speaking, the pc only performs at half of its capabilities, its still going to be close to the mac and yet still be way cheaper... this is crazy!

Seriously though... If it wasnt for the loyaly, apple would be ****ed. Im pretty open minded, but why would I be so stupid? Esthetics are important, but for two months earnings... I can ignore the way my pc looks.

Why would you buy a 1ghz Mac vs. a 2ghz PC? Take a guess. The MAC WORKS! How about all those groovy PC DLL errors, or the stellar USB and Firewire support on the PC platform? (that would be sarcasm) I've had PCs and Macs. Now all I have is Macs and there's a reason - I can actually get work done. If a Mac looked like a PC, I would still have a Mac - who cares what it looks like as long as it works. And Macs work, therefore, I use Macs - not to mention they look cooler in my house than a stupid beige boat anchor.

johnnyAPPLEseed

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2001

Ok, how about the fact that all you'd be buying is a half-priced piece of ****? Sure you can buy a PC for half the price at twice the clock speed, but what are you getting for your money. I guarantee you that you can't buy a 1.5ghz Pentium 3 or 4 system with a 32mb video card, 60gb HD, CD-RW and Firewire for much less than 1699 (base price for the 733 Quicksilver).

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK

You dont seem to understand that Mhz has not got much to do with the actual speed of the machine!!! Why would a graphics designer use a 867MhzG4 if it was slower than a 2Ghz P4???? Tell me that!!!

It pisses me off that people dont understand that different chips are designed differently!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Re: Re: I hope they perform!

You dont seem to understand that Mhz has not got much to do with the actual speed of the machine!!! Why would a graphics designer use a 867MhzG4 if it was slower than a 2Ghz P4???? Tell me that!!!

It pisses me off that people dont understand that different chips are designed differently! [/B]

Why not be specific?

The P4 is rated at twice the MHz of a same-speed P3, right? And the G4 is about 50% faster than a P3 when comparing MHz. So an 867 G4 is perhaps 25% faster than a 2GHz P4.

Our 500MHz iMac (G3) is noticeably faster than my 600MHz P3 at work. And it doesn't even need a fan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.