Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hi all. I recently installed Tiger on my Rev 1 B&W G3, and all went well. The machine had 640Mb ram over 4 slots, and no problems. I upgraded two of the slots to 128Mb sticks earlier today, and suddenly had "disk node" errors and weird things happening, graphics corruption (once, on only one window :confused:) and had the "Please restart..." black badge appear, not only during usage of Tiger, but also during subsequent re-installs... three of them!.

At first I thought it could be the 80Gb hdd I had replaced the original IBM 20Gb with, but then I recalled that the system had been fine yesterday. It started doing weird things like not allowing me to copy VLC.app from the DMG to the /Applications folder, which caused me some concern.

After running DU, I had to resort to Techtool Pro 4.6, which said it had fixed the "node error" (or whatever) but it hadn't.

I then put the older 20Gb Apple hdd back in, erased it and attempted a further install, which "black-badged" on me (IE, told me to restart), so I suspected the ram, and pulled the two sticks I had put in earlier today.

Any further diagnosis?... is this likely what the cause could have been?.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Definitely could be a bad RAM issue. However, it could also be data corruption from the sometimes flaky IDE bus on the REV 1 systems. As you probably know, the main reason for the 2nd revision was to fix this problem. I'd definitely look into replacing the RAM first, then perhaps use another Mac to install the system onto the drive, then move the drive into the Powermac.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Definitely could be a bad RAM issue. However, it could also be data corruption from the sometimes flaky IDE bus on the REV 1 systems. As you probably know, the main reason for the 2nd revision was to fix this problem. I'd definitely look into replacing the RAM first, then perhaps use another Mac to install the system onto the drive, then move the drive into the Powermac.

Yeah, the first thing that sprang to mind was the ATA issues on the Rev 1 logic boards. I think I have likely solved it now, as I have pulled those sticks, and the install is flying along sweetly, whereas before it would have frozen by now :(.

Shame the ATA controllers weren't burned onto some kind of "PIC" microprocessors; they could have been field-upgradeable.

PS: Other Mac, what other Mac? :(.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.