Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leishie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Recently the finder application stopped finding certain types of files on an external drive. The external drive (WD 80GB) is recognised and I have access to all files, however, when I search for specific files in the finder window it wont find pdf, txt, doc files. It does find picture files such as jpg. I have tried using the drive on my laptop (snow leopard) and macmini (leopard) and have the same problem.

Thanks for any advice

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
Is it possible that you have Spotlight set up not to index the external drive?

System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy

If the external drive is in that list, Spotlight will not index it, which might mean searching in the finder won't find it

leishie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I have checked the preferences and its not on the privacy list.

The finder does find some files on the drive. I thought it was only image files but it appears to be finding all files except those in one folder. Everything appears to be normal under the settings for that folder (ie. its not locked).

Thanks

cam970

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
You can search an external drive by changing finder preference options in the advanced tab from search this mac to search the current folder. Worked for me!

lithoart

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
cam970's solution worked for me! I'm sooo happy!

Go to Preferences for Finder, and then go to Advanced icon.
On When performing a search:, make sure you select "Search This Mac"

Worked for me!

I'm so happy!!! :):):)
Have been missing this capability for ages.
And since I used it extensively before, I am extremely pleased to have found this solution.

Thanks, cam970!

Reactions: dexterouz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.