Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrockettGTO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Can anyone offer some insight.
How can I make it an easy task to connect to a Windows network location from a link sent from a PC user to a Mac OSX snow leopard machine.
Example,
Colleague is using a windows machine, sends me a link to a network folder/file
//server/folder/file
it comes over as a link
but in Mac I cannot simply click on the link and navigate to the network location. I have to first copy the link, then go to finder, click connect, append SMB at the beginning of the string and then am forced to mount the drive.
I want to simply click the link and have a finder window open to the network location.
Is this a setting in OSX, you would think it would be native to the OS.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I searched and thumbed through many many posts but I cannot find an exact answer, maybe I am not using the correct key words for searching as I am sure this has been brought up before.
Thanks in advance.

mbestel

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
You need to mount the drive

Hi,

Adding smb: before the link is the correct way to do it and you will need to authenticate and mount the share before being able to access it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark

CrockettGTO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Hi,

Adding smb: before the link is the correct way to do it and you will need to authenticate and mount the share before being able to access it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark. That was what I was suspecting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.