Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pianoman0018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hey Guys

I have a Macbook pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo witch i bought before 1 year
before 3 days it started to doing this problem: i choose shut down and instead of that it restarts .
i did the command option P R thing to reset but didnt work
also does that when im going to safe mode
i also try to clean install my operating system but still nothing happens
the problem is there
i did also a hardware test and everything is ok
verify disk : ok
permissions ok:
i dont know what else to do
if anyone can help i would appreciate that

thanks

Pianoman0018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
thnx for the reply but it didnt work for me

the problem began having the snow leopard on my macbook and i thought that was the problem so i clean install the leopard i had when i bought my mac.
one thing i forgot to mention is that the mac it only can be shut down by holding the power button(hard shut down) and when put the power cable on starting by its own with out pressing the power button

Pianoman0018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
smc reset is not holding the COMMAND OPTION P R buttons on the startup?
cause i try that and it worked for one time but after a while the problem came back
and it seems that my processor its working always also when i dont have any programmes running

Pianoman0018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
hey there
i tried the smc reset but it didnt make any difference. when i put iback on the power cable it turned on by its self without pressing the power button
i also discover that my mac cannot go to sleep mode
the only thing that it does properly is restarting

eldudorinio

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2010
After some Mroogle research I've done, it seems that all similar situations have not been resolved. Even for past models. A visit to an Apple store sounds like a good idea.

epapoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Solution

Although this post is 2 years old at least, I have found a solution for the exact same symptoms. Heating, restart instead of shutdown and boot when magsafe is connected. In my case it was due to a faulty airport card. In my case the symptoms involved as well a "no hardware detecterd" error on the airport menu, but I am not sure this will be necessarly the case as the airport card may continue working and being detected even if it causes the restart problem.

Remove or change the airport card, or simply disconnect it from the motherbord. In that case you will loose one speaker though. I recommand trying to disconnect it just to see if it solves the problem.

If it does, then buy a used one on ebay and do installation, approx. 40 bucks.
Installation instruction may be found on the net.

The wire you need to disconnect is the one that goes in the screen, but is not the connector of the screen itself :p (it is the one that is passed around the cdrom that you need to disconnect).

Good luck!

Reactions: nphilipe

Hobbes7

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I have the same problem on my Macbook Pro 5.1. I found that disabling Airport allowed me to shut down properly instead of holding down power key. Will look closer at Airport card as it does seem that that's the problem.

KanpaiKeitaro

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2015
I have the same problem on my Macbook Pro 5.1. I found that disabling Airport allowed me to shut down properly instead of holding down power key. Will look closer at Airport card as it does seem that that's the problem.

I have the same issue and disabling Airport didn't seem to do anything. I don't want to spend the money to replace the card unless I know for certain this is the problem. Again, I have the same issue (powers on when plugged in, reboots when shut down, fan on full blast)...has anyone been able to uncover anything new about this issue? There are literally NO other helpful resources online outside this thread :|

kevin1234

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2015
I had this exact same problem with my Macbook Pro. The problem was fixed when I replaced the old and dying battery with a brand new one.

If you have this problem and your battery is old and dying, I would try putting a new battery in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.