Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
Legally I realise that in some geographical areas you need to inform the caller the conversation is being recorded so please don't preach from a legal point of view its very boring and I don't care.

Technically is there an app that enables phone recording?

I don't want to stick on something from Radioshack et al.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Legally I realise that in some geographical areas you need to inform the caller the conversation is being recorded so please don't preach from a legal point of view its very boring and I don't care.

Technically is there an app that enables phone recording?

I don't want to stick on something from Radioshack et al.

Please search, there's been at least a couple of threads on this topic already.

angusslo

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
I've just tried with Voice memos app and it didn't work.
is there another, via jailbreak way?

Ding.Dong

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles
Official iPhone apps cannot record phone calls as it breaks SDK rules. The way I see it, you have several options.

- Recorder lets you record outgoing phone calls. I believe you have to call a special phone number that records the call and then downloads it to the app in your iPhone. You're charged per minute for the service.

- Google voice lets you record incoming phone calls and is completely free. For some reason it doesn't work on outgoing calls.

- Jailbreak your iPhone. From what I understand, there are several jailbreak apps that will do this.

f(A)t'kId

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
There's a way

Down load "Spoof App" or "Caller ID Faker". Looks like "Spoof App" is no longer in the app store. You can get either one via Jailbreak. Both apps give you a choice to record and change your voice to "Woman" "Man" "Normal". Hope that helps :D

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
LOL. Tell that to customer service departments when they tell you that "This call may be recorded to improve customer service".

Come on. Get the rock off your back and come out now. :D

It is legal to record phone calls if you tell people they are being recorded. It's illegal in some states to do it without notifying people that you are recording them.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I'll help clear this up.
It is NOT illegal in most states, it is illegal in some.

Meaning, dependant upon the state you're in dictates its legality.
I am in Texas. Texas is a single party state. Meaning only 1 party needs to be aware of the call being recorded "without judicial approval".

If you're in a 2 party state, both parties must be aware of the recording.
This is why you always hear the "this call may be recorded for quality purposes" during support calls, etc.

Search Your State

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
i posted the answer to this in a post a few weeks ago without jailbreaking and i tell you what, i'm not going to post the forum link as you can't be bothered to search and duplicate threads - can't you just make this forum a better place and group information?

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
Thanks to everyone with the exception of user Mystikal who was wrong in both of his derisory contributions.

Here is one solution for free it seems.

How to record calls on iPhone:

1. Be in call with person
2. Hit the button to add a call (the +)
3. Type in your phone number
4. It will go strait to voicemail
5. Once you here the beep, it will start recording
6. When you hang up the call, you will get a voicemail of your recording

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Meaning, dependant upon the state you're in dictates its legality. I am in Texas. Texas is a single party state. Meaning only 1 party needs to be aware of the call being recorded "without judicial approval".

You need to be aware that which state's laws apply depends not only on what state you are in, but what state the person you are calling is in. If you were, for instance, to record a call with someone in Connecticut without notifying them, you would be in violation of Connecticut state law and subject to prosecution for a felony.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Thanks to everyone with the exception of user Mystikal who was wrong in both of his derisory contributions.

Ah, so you repeated the post I actually found up after you were slapped on the wrist for not using the search feature and cluttering the forum with threads that were just repeated a week ago. Props to you for the acknowledgement...

I actually think we should shut off a lot more threads in these forums for double posting. Let me be a mod... I'd be ruthless!

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
Ah, so you repeated the post I actually found up after we you were slapped on the wrist for not using the search feature and cluttering the forum with threads that were just repeated a week ago. Props to you for the acknowledgement...

I actually think we should shut off a lot more threads in these forums for double posting. Let me be a mod... I'd be ruthless!

Maybe you could moderate your appalling grammar "after we you were" .

In your original post you copied a previous posters solution,how funny.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
If you read, i wrote 'I actually found'

and i acknowledged this in my original post

I'm happy now you've learnt to use the search feature of the forum. Shame your mind can spot grammar but not search. You have skillZ

Kenzembo1

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Youngstown, OH
Interesting...

Here is one solution for free it seems.

How to record calls on iPhone:

1. Be in call with person
2. Hit the button to add a call (the +)
3. Type in your phone number
4. It will go strait to voicemail
5. Once you here the beep, it will start recording
6. When you hang up the call, you will get a voicemail of your recording

I don't know why I didn't think about this before. It would be great if I could record my phone interviews and go back and critique myself.

deedee1234

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
iphone call recording

yes, i saw on another thread here that theres a company called recordiapro that allows you to record calls as an mp3 file on an iphone- not sure how they do it.

i googled it- the url is recordiapro.com :)

broon

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
yes, i saw on another thread here that theres a company called recordiapro that allows you to record calls as an mp3 file on an iphone- not sure how they do it.

i googled it- the url is recordiapro.com :)

When...oh when...will RecordiaPro put out an app? Seems a little overdue, don't you think?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.