Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
People love apps on their iphones because to be honest nobody expected a mere 'phone' to offer that much.

So the 1000's of 1$ fart apps and astrology charts are just fine. You pay 1$ and it's great on your tiny screen. Everyone is happy.

Where apple have miscalculated is that people EXPECT a full sized screen device to run proper PROGRAMS not $1 fart apps.

They also expect a full sized device to behave like a proper computer not an oversized phone.

Apple say they have created a new categoury between the smartphone and laptop.

They didn't want to canibilise iphone or macbook sales so they don't offer competing features in the ipad. So no phone capability (so no lost iphone sales and no proper software so no lost ibook sales-well a company who is so arrogant enough to think that they will offer a product not to canibilise another of THEIR products sales will fail. I have seen it before ). People always go to someone making what they want. They don't have to just choose their previously beloved companies products. Even us apple fanboys aren't that stupid.

They should have concentrated on negating the need for a laptop/netbook,

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
And....I have plenty of .99 apps that are well worth the money and great, and am sure the iPad will only make the experience that much better....

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
The iPad apps will become fuller and more functional than ones on the iPhone which will increase the price - i think.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
People love apps on their iphones because to be honest nobody expected a mere 'phone' to offer that much.

So the 1000's of 1$ fat apps and astrology charts are just fine. You pay 1$ and it's great on your tiny screen. Everyone is happy.

Where apple have miscalculated is that people EXPECT a full sized screen device to run proper PROGRAMS not $1 fart apps.

Nobody said that apps need to be $.99 and useless. I run a number of apps on my iPhone already that are quite complex and cost quite a bit. Like Navigon for example.

Fact is, the AppStore is a great method for developers to distribute their software. Much better than the old shareware model.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
What is the actual difference between a program and a application. Aren't they kind of really the same thing.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
iPad apps will be fully functional apps when developers start supporting it. As a developer, I would be really excited because you can now do so much more because of the real estate you have to work without. However, users better get use to higher prices because the cost to develop apps to make use of the larger screens is going to raise app prices. Plus, if the iPad doesn't gain a huge market share, many of the developers will stay on the sideline.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
The fart app jokes are getting really old.

There are thousands of very useful apps on the iPhone. If you want to imagine what iPad apps will be like in comparison then look at the iPhone calendar, music and photo apps and then look at the iPad's calendar, music and photo apps: the iPad versions are astronomically better. Now imagine what other devs can do with their apps when designed for the iPad.

Or just look at what they did with iWork. Amazing apps.

If you can't see the potential in the iPad then I just feel sorry for you.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If you can't see the potential in the iPad then I just feel sorry for you.

To be fair - it might not be that people don't see the POTENTIAL. But rather, in it's current incarnation and what was presented this week - people aren't interested.

I see great potential with the iPad. But for me - right now, I have no interest as it doesn't provide or do anything that would necessitate purchasing one.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit

So the 1000's of 1$ fat apps and astrology charts are just fine. You pay 1$ and it's great on your tiny screen. Everyone is happy.

I agree completely that useless apps will not help the iPad. However the percentage of useless apps is relatively low. Even if the percentage of crap approached 20%, we are still talking about over 110,000 useful apps here.

Before I give my opinion, let me point out a few of the apps I use which might give a better idea whether what I'm saying might apply to your possible use of the iPad. On my iTouch, I have Kindle (very useful) and it already comes with very small fonts that will look "almost normal" when run at 2x on the iPad. I also have wattpad and bn reader. Both very useful but not as nice as Kindle. I have Olivetree Biblereader and about a half dozen bibles. I have Great Books.

I have NYTimes, NPR Addict, Facebook, Target, Walmart, Fandango, PhoneFlix and Stocks. All are decent apps that are nicer than pulling up a browser and surfing to the info they provide. I also have docs2go but I'm sure I'll purchase iWork, especially since I already use iWork at home.

I have universalis. I have medcalc. For games I have scrabble, phase 10, wordwarp and sudoku. I also have Louvre, fedex mobile and usps mobile. Again they are more convenient than browsing to the site to track packages. I have also have ski report, white house.gov. None of these apps will break my heart if their developers don't run right down and update themselves for iPad. Well, maybe scrabble. I'd prefer a full board view. So I guess this list of apps goes to show I'm not much of a gamer but I'm more of a reader. I'm also a Mac user and I expect that somehow Apple will find a way to make the iPad fit seamlessly into our all Mac household.

I should admit I do have several fun little "fart apps" like "bs detector" that I often delete when they come along asking me to update them. That's what happened to tap tap. I got tired of popup advertisements when I was doing something else. I deleted it and rated it 2 stars. It might have been fun for kids but constantly pestering me about free music I can get if only I would stop reading and come play finally drove me away from that game.

Your argument that iPhone apps run on iPad might drive away users because of low quality apps written for a tiny screen suddenly blown up to show how awful they really are does not ring true based on my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.