Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Palm Pimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
... and they still need to know how to use that real PC in order to transfer files anyway.

So why not just get them the laptop for the price?

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Whoa this would be perfect for old people they can use it without deleting system files and other important things. They can just use it like a toy.

Look at what the wii did with videogames, I bet the ipad can do the same thing with computers. (have a crap load of shovel ware and piss off the established fan base)

Corruptitudes

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2009
What you seem to FAIL to realize is that the ipad isnt meant to replace a "pc". Its simply another tool for a different job.

Do you always use a hammer to work on your cars engine? Or do you use different tools?

Palm Pimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Whoa this would be perfect for old people they can use it without deleting system files and other important things. They can just use it like a toy.

Look at what the wii did with videogames, I bet the ipad can do the same thing with computers. (have a crap load of shovel ware and piss off the established fan base)
Dude the Wii is just a really nice videogame system, which is already a toy.

iPhones and iPod Touches are fun, but they aren't toys. So how can a Maxi version be one?

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
Can you read?

Do you need a PC?

You state a PC is needed, I am asking you. Do you really need a PC for the iPad?

you need it to install updates, charge it (unless you want to buy the accessory), get music and photos on or off,etc.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
you need it to install updates, charge it (unless you want to buy the accessory), get music and photos on or off,etc.

1. It comes with a 10w charging brick.
2. Music can be bought and downloaded from the iTunes Store.
3. Photos can be added from SD or via USB with the Camera kit.

Updates, well that is true. However, this isn't very different from a computer. You need a connection to the net to get updates, so I suppose a computer isn't standalone either, eh?

But of course, you aren't required to update.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
1. It comes with a 10w charging brick.
2. Music can be bought and download on the iTunes Store.
3. Photos can be added from SD or via USB with the Camera kit.

Updates, well that is true. However, this isn't very different from a computer. You need a connection to the net to get updates, so I suppose a computer isn't standalone either, eh?

But of course, you aren't required to update.

this

for updates go to the apple store and they will do it for you.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
this

for updates go to the apple store and they will do it for you.

I was thinking that, but wasn't sure if they did this. However, I suppose they would have to copy the music down since that isn't included in the backups, is it?

Palm Pimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Can you read?

Do you need a PC?

You state a PC is needed, I am asking you. Do you really need a PC for the iPad?
YES, yes you need one.

The iPad can't download off the web, as seen with the iPhone.

No USB or disc drives. so how else are you going to put stuff on it without plugging it to a real computer?

Have you really thought this through?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I was thinking that, but wasn't sure if they did this. However, I suppose they would have to copy the music down since that isn't included in the backups, is it?

no music isnt in backups, tho, just a reg update wouldnt delete music, tho, I doubt a grandma/pa would have music on this kind of device

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Yes, it requires a Mac or a PC

From the Tech Specs on the Apple site

requirements.png

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
YES, yes you need one.

No, you don't.

The iPad can't download off the web, as seen with the iPhone.

Do you know this for sure?

Given this new file sharing directory, you may indeed be able to download files.

No USB or disc drives. so how else are you going to put stuff on it without plugging it to a real computer?

So, these people without a computer, need a computer to put files on the iPad, but these files don't exist since they didn't already have a computer.

Have you really thought this through?

I was thinking the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.