Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:13 AM   #1
electropop
macrumors newbie

Question Trying to Find an External DVD Burner for G3

can anyone help? i have a blue & white g3 mac and am looking for a cheap dvd burner that works well thats external.

a pioneer one tha was recommended and is fierwire said pc only so im confused.

pioneer DVR-S706 was the on suggested.

any help would be appreciated!
electropop is offline   0
Old Aug 23, 2004, 04:00 PM   #2
electropop
macrumors newbie

not one person can help me?
Old Aug 23, 2004, 04:27 PM   #3
noahsnyc
macrumors regular

Here ya go...

Well, it ain't cheap, but I did just purchase a beautiful new LaCie d2 dual-layer DVD+-RW drive for my iBook G4. It's gorgeous and cost about $240.

Later, I installed the included full-version of Toast Titanium 6 on my G3 500 iBook and rocked some back-ups. It worked just swell.

Hope this helps.

N

PS: ADDED EDIT - It is a firewire drive.

Last edited by noahsnyc; Aug 23, 2004 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Sweet Addition
noahsnyc is offline   0
Old Aug 24, 2004, 01:15 AM   #4
electropop
macrumors newbie

so does any firewire external dvd burner work with a g3 powermac?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 06:23 AM   #5
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess

pretty much yes, to get finder burning and itunes compatibility get a patch a called patchburn and pretty much any drive will work
Mord is offline   0
Old Aug 24, 2004, 08:14 AM   #6
SpaceMagic
macrumors 68000

I thought DVD authoring was a G4+ thing only? Maybe doesn't matter with external. Toast will do anything you want though, it's a very good program. iDVD won't like it though.
SpaceMagic is offline   0
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:45 AM   #7
Redboy
macrumors member

I know that iDVD or whatever that is requires a G4, but I don't know about simple burning in toast or dragon burn (or whatever that's called). Right now I have an extra external 5.25" firewire case that says "put a dvd burner in me" to me every time I see it. I've been wondering if I can just do that and let everything work. Compgeeks has some nice cheap DVD-RW drives lately...
Redboy is offline   0
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:06 PM   #8
CalfCanuck
macrumors 6502a

LA Cie link

Here's the link for the LaCie:

8x d2 DVD±RW Double Layer with Toast® 6 Titanium http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10091

Specs call for Mac 9.1 or later, and a FW connector. You might get more installation info if you download their manual.

Another money saving option might be to order the unit as an internal (assuming you have space in the B & W) for $130 - you lose the ability to easily move the DVD unti between machines, but if saving cash is that important ...

One model configuration comes with a full version of Titanium. If you don't have it, and want it, you;re beter paying a little more now rather than buying it separately. (models also vary between their FW and USB 2 config's)
CalfCanuck is offline   0
Old Aug 24, 2004, 02:33 PM   #9
noahsnyc
macrumors regular

The LaCie is a great machine, a little heavy for true portability, but not impossible. It's nice to look at and the company has a top-notch reputation. Like I said earlier, the drive, along with Toast Titanium 6, worked charmingly on an old 500mhz G3 iBook.

It's the truth, iDVD will only work w/ a G4, but go ahead and export the movie from iMovie and then burn to DVD w/ Toast and you should be good to go. Also, iDVD requires a little hacking to work with an external DVD burner anyway, so it's not a huge loss, Toast is very nice.

N.
noahsnyc is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2004, 01:52 AM   #10
electropop
macrumors newbie

thanks guys for the tips. my comp has toast titanium on it already so i just need to purchase any dvd recorder thats mac compatible and all should be ok?

i want to be able to make motion menus and chapter selections. does toast do that or any recommendations?
Old Aug 25, 2004, 02:30 PM   #11
electropop
macrumors newbie

would i need to purcahse another type of video card to burn from another dvd player or from a vcr into the comp to make dvds?
Old Aug 29, 2004, 06:32 PM   #12
electropop
macrumors newbie

anyone?

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers