Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:43 PM   #1
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

Modding Mini Sim Card to Micro Sim Card

Looking at the included picture, it seems one could carefully use an exacto knife to trim down their iPhone's sim card to the iPad's micro sim size. You would save the cut piece for joining the two again to put in the tray and back into the iPhone. The actual chip is in the correct place.

Original sim cards were the size of credit cards. The one in an iPhone is a "mini sim". The one in the iPad is a "micro sim".

However... of course this doesn't mean it will work - but it's worth a try by a brave soul. Apple may have written the software to prevent this and ATT may have a way for their network to reject it. But I fully expect the dev team to tackle that in the jailbreak version.

What say you??

Last edited by 8CoreWhore; Jan 29, 2010 at 11:55 PM.
8CoreWhore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:03 AM   #2
cmaier
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post
Looking at the included picture, it seems one could carefully use an exacto knife to trim down their iPhone's sim card to the iPad's micro sim size. You would save the cut piece for joining the two again to put in the tray and back into the iPhone. The actual chip is in the correct place.

Original sim cards were the size of credit cards. The one in an iPhone is a "mini sim". The one in the iPad is a "micro sim".

However... of course this doesn't mean it will work - but it's worth a try by a brave soul. Apple may have written the software to prevent this and ATT may have a way for their network to reject it. But I fully expect the dev team to tackle that in the jailbreak version.

What say you??

Yes, it works. There are even tools that cut a micro sim from a sim.
cmaier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:06 AM   #3
CD3660
macrumors 68030

Interesting proposition. I look forward to hearing further views on this.
iPhone 5
CD3660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:31 AM   #4
goobot
macrumors 68040

this is what im thinking. i would like a adapter to put in the iphone tray so i dont need to retape the other piece. and if it rejects it soft wise the jailbreak can fix that.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 02:55 AM   #5
meagain
macrumors 68020

Good thread!

So say it works. Is it at all possible to have 2 sim cards? It would be nice to not have to switch the card. (and lose phone connectivity).

Though I see bluetooth tethering as the best way?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:48 AM   #6
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post
Good thread!

So say it works. Is it at all possible to have 2 sim cards? It would be nice to not have to switch the card. (and lose phone connectivity).

Though I see bluetooth tethering as the best way?
You can buy a sim duplicator online - or - go into an independent wireless store in the poorer section of town. The kind of place that does phone unlocking for a fee. See if you can get your sim copied over to a micro sim if they have them or use the above method.

BTW - it's a good idea anyway to have your sim backed up and ready to go...

REMEMBER - you cannot have both sims in two different devices turned on at the same time!

I have to say... this seems really obvious to Apple and ATT and they'll probably block it somehow...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:36 AM   #7
meagain
macrumors 68020

In the grand scheme of things (sales), I can't imagine there's going to be many people into cutting up sim cards.

When you say 'back up sim card' - do you mean doing something other than backing up with iTunes? Else, I'm not aware of how to do that.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:49 AM   #8
Schtumple
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to Schtumple
Considering they said it's going to be unlocked, surely they don't care how you get your data plan, they're more interested in the fact that you have one...

The only trouble is if you use your iPhone sim, or another carrier that has very tight data limits, you might run into a lot of trouble, I know in the UK, O2 pick up on extreme data usage with a sharp email, and disconnection as a threat, if you use your iPhone tethered (the jail broken way).
Schtumple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 04:17 AM   #9
CD3660
macrumors 68030

Click image for larger version

Name:	micro-sim-1.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	212905

The chip looks identical.
iPhone 5
CD3660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 04:56 AM   #10
maghemi
macrumors 6502

i hope this works. I've got a sim card here from one of those pre-paid wireless internet dongles that just doesn't get used anymore.

It this mod works I'll just trim it up and whack it in the iPad if I get one.

Of course depending on how much they sell for here in Aus, if Apple for once doesn't feel like screwing over us Aussies on price.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:47 AM   #11
lordhamster
macrumors 6502

Wow. If it really is this simple, then I'm sure someone on ebay will be selling a "cutter" tool soon. I really really hope its as simple as just trimming down the chip.

Engadget seems to think so: http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/02/m...ved-down-sims/
lordhamster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:14 PM   #12
cmaier
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
Wow. If it really is this simple, then I'm sure someone on ebay will be selling a "cutter" tool soon. I really really hope its as simple as just trimming down the chip.
I'm not sure what the mystery is. It is certainly that simple, and there are already such cutters. Endgadget should do a little research before publishing.
cmaier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:23 PM   #13
lordhamster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
I'm not sure what the mystery is. It is certainly that simple, and there are already such cutters. Endgadget should do a little research before publishing.
Can you post a link to such a cutter? I've not found any in my searches.

For me personally the mystery was if the chip was electronically compatible with the old ones. Just because it looks the same doesn't mean they ARE the same. I'm excited that it seems like this may indeed work... thus removing one of my annoyances with the iPad.

I really wish they had just used a good old fashioned Mini Sim but if a $5 cutter will work for me I guess I'm happy.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:24 PM   #14
VenusianSky
macrumors 65816

So, would the service provider be able to tell that you are using your phone's sim in an iPad? Not that it should matter, because you have removed service from the phone by removing the sim.
VenusianSky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:28 PM   #15
lordhamster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusianSky View Post
So, would the service provider be able to tell that you are using your phone's sim in an iPad? Not that it should matter, because you have removed service from the phone by removing the sim.
I'm sure they could. I think all GSM devices transmit their device type to the towers.

For me, the reason I care about this is not to try to jam my primary phone sim into it, but rather so I can buy a sim for Data usage when I'm on long overseas trips, from providers that don't necessarily supply Micro Sims.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:55 PM   #16
damnyooneek
macrumors 6502

someone needs to sell a cutting kit and an adaptor so people can put it back into their original phones
damnyooneek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:59 PM   #17
dan5.5
macrumors 6502

this would be so great... I would really want to share my iphone sim
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:08 PM   #18
falconeye
macrumors newbie

It is even greater in Germany.

Because T-Mobile is giving a second and third SIM card for free. Well, at a low one time fee (about 30$) and applicable to customers which stayed on their original data plan only. But great nevertheless.

The additional SIMs work concurrently with the iPhone. I use one in my laptop all time.
falconeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 04:11 AM   #19
wackymacky
macrumors 65816

Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post
In the grand scheme of things (sales), I can't imagine there's going to be many people into cutting up sim cards.

When you say 'back up sim card' - do you mean doing something other than backing up with iTunes? Else, I'm not aware of how to do that.

They’re are talking about the data on the SIM not the phone,

And yes you can buy SIM readers/copiers. Though they are a little shady as most uses of a copies SIM, much like a skimmed credit card are nefarious
wackymacky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 04:17 AM   #20
jontucker
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
Can you post a link to such a cutter? I've not found any in my searches.
Here you go
click
jontucker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 04:46 AM   #21
Septimus
macrumors newbie

Very useful to know it works, thanks.

I say this as I bet Apple will make the iPhone 4G use Micro-Sim also, and I really don't want to leave the O2 iPhone Simplicity plan. Just to good a deal (and I guess they want offer that deal on Micro-Sim for some random reason/lie).
Septimus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:38 PM   #22
goosnarrggh
macrumors 68000

Regarding compatibility:
1) The electrical contacts on a micro SIM are 100% identical in layout and use as the electrical contacts on a typical mini SIM, which, in turn, are backward compatible with the electrical contacts on the original credit card-sized SIM.

2) Every piece of software that ran inside the 3G mini SIM card is also present inside the micro SIM. So, if you were able to take a micro SIM and "expand it" to fit into an older handset's mini SIM slot, the older handset would still be able to communicate with it and use it to connect to the network.

3) However, the reverse is not necessarily true. There are some extra features designed into the software running inside micro SIMs, which were not present inside the original specification for the mini SIM or the credit card-sized SIM. So if you have a handset that (for some reason) depends on the presence of these extra features, then a cut-down mini SIM may not work correctly.

3a) That being said, since micro SIMs are fully backward compatible with mini SIMs, there is no harm in manufacturing SIMs with a mini SIM form factor, but the brains of a micro SIM.
3b) It makes sense, then, that carriers probably won't bother manufacturing both "true" mini SIMs, and "true" micro SIMs in parallel.
3c) It would be simpler to just produce one universal SIM (with the brains of a micro SIM), and simply adjust the punch-out perforations to determine whether it will fit in either a mini SIM slot or a micro SIM slot.
goosnarrggh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:11 PM   #23
quasinormal
Banned

Has anybody tried cutting down a mini sim card to a micro sim yet?
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 02:44 AM   #24
blouis79
macrumors member

http://www.noosyapple.com/cp/html/?38.html
blouis79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 03:31 PM   #25
Ral67
macrumors newbie

See here http://www.macnotes.de/2010/05/08/mi...-statt-stanze/

Take a sturdy pair of scissors and The Template from the PDF - thats it
Ral67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote