Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BradClarke

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Well im going to be making my used macbook pro purchase this week and
I was wondering if a Macbook Pro with these specs is good enough to edit hd videos in Final Cut pro and iMovie 09? with filters and stuff? Like would this be a bad choice? I have a good deal on it.

Heres the Specs:
2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
17-inch Widescreen Display
2.0GB RAM
120GB Hard Drive
DVD-RW/CD-RW SuperDrive
X1600 video card (256MB)
1680x1050 resolution
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
Airport Extreme Card
Built-in iSight
Remote control NOT included
3- USB 2.0 ports
2- FireWire ports (400 & 800)
Ethernet port

Its only a Intel Core Duo which i found from research can only be upgraded to 2Gigs of Ram?

The camera im editing with is the Panasonic HVX200 Thanks guys.

iphonematt

Jul 10, 2007
Well, I am sure it can do video editing for footage from that camera, but I have no guarantees it will be fast. I have about 14 hours of 1080p content from a Canon XL-H1A on the MacBook Pro in my sig and lets say the process has been a little painful. You will be pushing the extreme of what that machine can handle.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
It's going to do it, but like the other person said it's not going to be fast.

Use an external drive to store your video on, this helps a great deal, also to give FCP a bit of help, convert your footage into Apple Pro Res 422 or the new 4444. These formats make editing a lot smoother. The files are huge, but simpler for FCP to zip up and down on the timeline.

bombwithrobots

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Melbourne
You'd want a nice fast external HDD to go along with it, but the RAM might be an issue. Especially if you are using something like After Effects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.