Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Everyone says HTML5 is going to replace flash and though that may not be for a while...and i'm guessing Google's Chrome already has it....

It seems that HTML5 should work on the iPad correct?

Will it? PRobably a while from now, i'm guessing a year but shouldn't it work?

Would it still be a security risk? a battery drainer?

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
HTML5 is already supported by Safari 3 and 4, Firefox 3.5 and Chrome. The only things holding it back are Internet Explorer support (what a surprise) and a debate over the codec (FireFox is sticking by Ogg, Safari and Chrome support H.264).

I'm not sure if MobileSafari on the iPhone currently supports <video> but it may do. Can anybody confirm? I can't access the YouTube HTML5 page as its redirecting to its mobile site.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Mobile Safari on the iPhone already supports several html 5 tags. More and more support will be added as the spec is finalized. Safari (and, by extension, Mobile Safari) will more than likely be one of the most compliant browsers.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Parts of HTML5 already work in mobile safari. Only a few tags and they are all experimental implementations. Desktop safari also has some and the reason chrome has them is because it is based off of webkit, the renderer used in safari and mobile safari.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
The MLB.com At Bat iPhone app has been using HTML5 video streaming since last summer.

ScaryRobot

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
Apple is a heavy backer of HTML5 (their WebKit work makes this obvious) and, in general, has been a major backer of standards for web video since at least 2003, when they had a major presentation at WWDC about their vision for the future of digital video distribution.

In point of fact, one of the precise reasons Apple doesn't want to support Flash is that they're probably trying to use their leverage (tens of millions if iPhones and iPod Touches, and growing) to force content providers away from Flash and onto emerging web standards.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
The Gmail mobile site uses HTML5 on the iPhone through safari. It also uses HTML5 to cache the data so the site works even if you do not have a connection.

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
HTML5 is not a Flash replacement but an open video format. It's great for watching videos but it can't provide the power Flash can give to a website. I think Apple is smart enough to understand that a Flash is a must-have plug-in for the full browsing experience as they promis the iPad provides so I guess it'll be supported quite soon.

ScaryRobot

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
HTML5 is not a Flash replacement but an open video format. It's great for watching videos but it can't provide the power Flash can give to a website. I think Apple is smart enough to understand that a Flash is a must-have plug-in for the full browsing experience as they promis the iPad provides so I guess it'll be supported quite soon.

HTML5/H.264 are not a Flash replacement. But add SVG, Canvas, JavaScript and CSS3 Animation and you do a Flash replacement. Apple is seriously committed to all of those technologies, and, in fact, actually invented a couple of them.

Flash will not be supported on the iPhone, the iPad, or any other new Apple platforms/devices. Apple is very deliberately using the leverage it has by virtue of its control over the browsers on tens of millions of mobile devices to kill Flash. And while it will take some time, I think it's working.

Flash makes no sense on the iPad anyway. Performance with video is going to be poor (try using Hulu on a ~5 year old Mac laptop for a preview), and most Flash games won't work without a keyboard/mouse.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

flush is a crutch for lazy and incompetent web designers who don't know what they are doing or don't want to do something properly.

HTML5 is much more than what you people are talking about. It is the entire spec for the web code. It doesn't just have to do with video. That is simply one part of the new set of standards. It is much more than that, and as mentioned above there are plenty of standard ways to make a better website than relying on horrible flash.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008

Did you honestly type that? Did you? Seriously? Couldn't you have at least googled before you typed up something so ridiculous? :eek::eek:

People create websites with an "open video format"?:eek:

HTML, which stands for Hyper Text Markup Language, is the predominant markup language for web pages. It provides a means to create structured documents by denoting structural semantics for text such as headings, paragraphs, lists etc as well as for links, quotes, and other items. It allows images and objects to be embedded and can be used to create interactive forms. It is written in the form of HTML elements consisting of "tags" surrounded by angle brackets within the web page content. It can include or can load scripts in languages such as JavaScript which affect the behavior of HTML processors like Web browsers; and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to define the appearance and layout of text and other material. The W3C, maintainer of both HTML and CSS standards, encourages the use of CSS over explicit presentational markup.

Click view and page source you will see the html code for this site.

Information HTML5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

Examples of what you can do with the HTML5
http://html5demos.com/
http://www.canvasdemos.com/
http://ajaxian.com/archives/3d-canvas-demos-in-2d-canvas

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
flush is a crutch for lazy and incompetent web designers who don't know what they are doing or don't want to do something properly.

Javascript has come along way to where I don't need flash any more for certain things like a light box on a website. You can even do animation with Javascript.

Couple that with a little HTML5 you can make an audio player or something with out the need of flash. But HTML5 is very far from being ready.

This is why I keep saying that the no flash thing is a good thing because it pushes people into HTML5 development which will in turn improve it a lot sooner.

Now,today flash has it's advantages because HTML5 just is not ready yet. I still need it to make a video player, music player, games,etc. Does not make me incompetent there is no other way today.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
Those examples are awful. You could do much better stuff in flash 10 years ago.

You do realize this is a new thing that is still being worked on, has to be fully hand coded and isn't expected to become a standard until 2022?

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
Great example of HTML5 at work and one of the more exciting uses of the internet in quite awhile.

Google is really doing their best to push HTML5 more so then Apple it seems.

Also their new google voice web app I thought was cool. More of apps like that and we will not have to worry about the itunes store.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
LOL

Yeah I want a mobile site on a 10 inch screen.

Thanks that solves everything.

For the iPad... there is already a youtube app. I'm sure hulu and netflix will come out with one.

The main use for flash these days is video. I do a lot of web browsing and do not come across any flash sites the only flash on the sites I visit are the ads which I block.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.