Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gjimmy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
I just bought a 15" Powerbook 1.5 Ghz Superdrive 512 megs ram (2x256) and it started doing something strange...

All of a sudden it will just start blasting a static noise out of the speakers. It will go through the external speakers I have plugged in, or through the computer speakers.

Also, the little light on the button next to the optical drive is on sometimes, off sometimes, and then flickers sometimes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

do you think a USB hub would possibly cause this?

arzlog

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2004
static noise

I have PB 1.5GHz 17in and it starts doing sth really odd. I hear a static. It sounds like very old LP player. I can hear on speaker and earphone as well.

Oddly enough, it seems it sounds normal if I play songs in 'xmms.' So it could be a software issue.

##############################################

I just rebooted and it is ok now. I will see if it is intermittent or simply one time thing.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
When I first got my PB, I had a problem like this. I though it might be hardware, but it went away with PRAM resets. I never found out what it was, because it went away after I wiped my HD in preparation for Panther.

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
I had the same problem with my PB, 15-inch, 1 gig, combo, just after I bought it. The noise has only (touch wood) come once, and when it happened, I sleeped the computer, woke it up, and the problem went away. I have no idea what caused it, but as the computer has been used more, a-lot of the original teething problems have gone away. So far So good. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.