Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:23 PM   #1
mathcolo
macrumors 6502a

Do CPUs get slower over time?

I was just wondering... do CPUs get slower over time? For example, if someone's computer is doing a ton of video encoding or compiling, would the CPU get slower?
[Retired]- Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
mathcolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:28 PM   #2
spinnerlys

No, unless it is malfunctioning.

It's not like gas, which by using gets depleted or something like that.

When a CPU has X transistors to use, it will stay X transistors no matter what you do, be it encoding or something other which is CPU intensive.

If a CPU has X transistors and one or more transistors get blown out (X - Y transistors), the CPU will not work anymore.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:35 PM   #3
mathcolo
macrumors 6502a

Oh, okay. That makes sense. I guess when it feels like a computer is getting slower, I've just been influenced by newer, faster computers
[Retired]- Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
mathcolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:42 PM   #4
yamabushi
macrumors 65816

The rest of the computer can get slower over time, though. Usually this is related to the software installed on the system. Rarely a system will slow down due to a hardware problem such as a hard drive starting to fail or overheating caused by blocked or extremely dirty air vents. The CPU itself should not slow down unless it was damaged by something like overheating, operating while wet, or a power surge.
yamabushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:17 PM   #5
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathcolo View Post
Oh, okay. That makes sense. I guess when it feels like a computer is getting slower, I've just been influenced by newer, faster computers
Right. Your system gets "clogged up" over time... extra apps that aren't needed, etc.

If you were to erase the system and reinstall what it originally had on it, it would run at nearly the same speed as it did when you first got it.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:31 PM   #6
smc333
macrumors regular

Another thought is the effect of newer software. While many times Apple optimizes their software for better performance on their older hardware, apps like video editing suites, after 2-3 years start to utilize newer processors better and leave older ones with less performance than an older, lighter suite.
smc333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:35 PM   #7
Apple.MBPro
macrumors member

Talking

I was just going to write a response similar to yours, i totally agree with your thought on it. This is a point many people tend to overlook regarding "slower CPUs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc333 View Post
Another thought is the effect of newer software. While many times Apple optimizes their software for better performance on their older hardware, apps like video editing suites, after 2-3 years start to utilize newer processors better and leave older ones with less performance than an older, lighter suite.
Apple.MBPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:36 PM   #8
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
interesting thread!

can individual transistors become damaged over time and the CPU still work correctly? or will it die straight away?
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:20 AM   #9
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
How in the world could a GPS get depleted? That makes no sense to me. The GPS sats get nudged now and then to stay in the right position, but a GPS receiver keeps working perfectly fine for years.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:26 AM   #10
copykris
macrumors 6502a

who's talking about gps though?
copykris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:53 AM   #11
smc333
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
interesting thread!

can individual transistors become damaged over time and the CPU still work correctly? or will it die straight away?
It depends which transistors, generally, if any single one of the transistors dies, it usually kills the processor, as the whole process is synced to use x amount of transistors all the time, completely throws off the balance power wise.

However, there is ONE exception I know of. Back in the days I was working with someone who was overclocking an Athlon XP, and he "blew" the cache from heat. There was a small tiny black spot on the die, and the processor was only using 128 or the 512 (I believe 512k) cache that the CPU had. So my guess is that's the one place in a CPU a transistor can fail, unfortunately, it will bring a good portion of the cache down with it.

As for the GPS thing, I don't know where that came from...
smc333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:50 AM   #12
nikhsub1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
No, unless it is malfunctioning.

When a CPU has X transistors to use, it will stay X transistors no matter what you do, be it encoding or something other which is CPU intensive.

If a CPU has X transistors and one or more transistors get blown out (X - Y transistors), the CPU will not work anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
How in the world could a GPS get depleted? That makes no sense to me. The GPS sats get nudged now and then to stay in the right position, but a GPS receiver keeps working perfectly fine for years.
There maybe you can see better now, he said GAS as in GASOLINE not GPS.
nikhsub1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:21 PM   #13
old-wiz
macrumors 604

grmph...need new glasses.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:01 PM   #14
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc333 View Post
It depends which transistors, generally, if any single one of the transistors dies, it usually kills the processor, as the whole process is synced to use x amount of transistors all the time, completely throws off the balance power wise.

However, there is ONE exception I know of. Back in the days I was working with someone who was overclocking an Athlon XP, and he "blew" the cache from heat. There was a small tiny black spot on the die, and the processor was only using 128 or the 512 (I believe 512k) cache that the CPU had. So my guess is that's the one place in a CPU a transistor can fail, unfortunately, it will bring a good portion of the cache down with it.
that explains it nicely and it makes sense. if a transistor died and the whole CPU kept thinking that transistor was fine, computation errors would be coming up every second!

nice story lol
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro