Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
IMPORTANT NOTE ON 3.1.3: Please do not upgrade to the newly released 3.1.3 version of the iPhone OS. There are few if any benefits to doing so, and many drawbacks. Please stay with version 3.1.2 until further notice. For those of you who have already upgraded, please see my "So You 'Accidentally' Upgraded to 3.1.3. Now What?" thread. You will find the answers to all your 3.1.3 questions there.

Jailbreak Selection Made Simple

It seems like almost every day we have people posting on here asking about the best way to jailbreak their phones. This is understandable, with the number of tools currently available, but the decision could really be made much simpler. This thread aims to provide a simple way to determine the best jailbreak for your device by means of a decision tree:

flow5.png

Note: Find your modem firmware version under Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware.

Links to the tools recommended in this chart:

Redsn0w 0.9.2
PwnageTool 3.1.4

Ultrasn0w and blacksn0w must be installed using Cydia (see tutorials, below).

iClarified Tutorials:

Redsn0w 0.9.2 ( 2G | 3G | 3GS )
PwnageTool 3.1.4 ( 3G | 3GS )
Ultrasn0w
Blacksn0w

iHackintosh Tutorials:

Redsnow 0.9 beta (all models; has not been updated to reflect final release)
PwnageTool ( 3G | 3GS )
Ultrasn0w

A note on blackra1n: You will probably have noticed that I have not included blackra1n in this post. This was done both for simplicity of the flowchart and because, with the release of redsn0w, I believe there are currently more reliable solutions in all situations than blackra1n. Nobody can doubt the simplicity of the blackra1n jailbreak, and it was once the only solution for people with 3.1.2 and the new bootrom. But this is no longer the case, and I have personally noticed far more complaints of problems from people who have used blackra1n.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Shouldn't you mention the new 3GS (new bootrom) requires re-running Blackra1n a 2nd time ?

Since I don't recommend using blackra1n, I don't think so. Even if one has the new iPhone, I would recommend redsn0w for the jailbreak. Of course, if one has a tethered jailbreak, blackra1n is probably the simplest way to boot the 3GS thereafter, and can be used even on phones jailbroken with redsn0w.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Since I don't recommend using blackra1n, I don't think so. Even if one has the new iPhone, I would recommend redsn0w for the jailbreak. Of course, if one has a tethered jailbreak, blackra1n is probably the simplest way to boot the 3GS thereafter, and can be used even on phones jailbroken with redsn0w.

I read you can run Redsn0w a 2nd time to restart the new 3GS. Is that correct ?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I read you can run Redsn0w a 2nd time to restart the new 3GS. Is that correct ?

Thats correct.
What if I have a late-model (New Bootloader)device?

If you have a late-model iPhone 3GS, or if you have an iPod touch 2G whose serial number begins with “MC”, or any iPod touch 3G, you can use redsn0w to jailbreak but you are currently restricted to “tethered” rebooting. That means you need to connect your device to a computer to complete the boot after a reset. Also, these devices cannot have custom logos.

redsn0w will ask you whether or not you fit in this category when used with the iPhone 3GS or iPod touch 2G+3G. If you have a late-model device and don't give redsn0w the correct answer, you will likely need to do a system restore to recover from the mistake.

To do a tethered boot after your late-model device resets for some reason, either run redsn0w again and select “Just boot tethered right now”, or run blackra1n.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Thats correct.
What if I have a late-model (New Bootloader)device?

If you have a late-model iPhone 3GS, or if you have an iPod touch 2G whose serial number begins with “MC”, or any iPod touch 3G, you can use redsn0w to jailbreak but you are currently restricted to “tethered” rebooting. That means you need to connect your device to a computer to complete the boot after a reset. Also, these devices cannot have custom logos.

redsn0w will ask you whether or not you fit in this category when used with the iPhone 3GS or iPod touch 2G+3G. If you have a late-model device and don't give redsn0w the correct answer, you will likely need to do a system restore to recover from the mistake.

To do a tethered boot after your late-model device resets for some reason, either run redsn0w again and select “Just boot tethered right now”, or run blackra1n.

OK, well thanks for the detailed info. I was just asking so I can keep up on what tools will restart the newer bootrom.

The detailed info will certainly help others who elect to use Redsn0w in lieu of Blackra1n to JB and restart their new bootrom devices.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Yes, both redsn0w and blackra1n will boot a tethered phone. You can use either one, no matter which you use to jailbreak. I still think redsn0w is the best tool to recommend for jailbreaking such a phone.

DH: could you clip your quote of my first post? I'm going to add more info (iHackintosh tutorials, etc) when I have time, and I don't want people confused. Thanks!

iFalcon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Thinking about giving this a try today.

I have a refurb 3gs with a serial of 5K949 and modem firmware of 05.11.07. The phone does a non-tethered jailbreak with blackra1n without any issues.

Here is where I'm confused with redsn0w. The install asks if this is a newer model of the 3gs and says 3gs units made after week 45 have the fixed bootrom. Mine is week 49 and has the old bootrom [IBOOT-359.3].

I'm not sure how to answer the question about yes or no. Do I answer no even though my serial number does not fit into the the example in the install wizard?

Thanks.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Thinking about giving this a try today.

I have a refurb 3gs with a serial of 5K949 and modem firmware of 05.11.07. The phone does a non-tethered jailbreak with blackra1n without any issues.

Here is where I'm confused with redsn0w. The install asks if this is a newer model of the 3gs and says 3gs units made after week 45 have the fixed bootrom. Mine is week 49 and has the old bootrom [IBOOT-359.3].

I'm not sure how to answer the question about yes or no. Do I answer no even though my serial number does not fit into the the example in the install wizard?

Thanks.

Answer no.

So far, all the remanufactured phones we have seen/heard about still have the old bootrom.

The 3rd, 4th & 5th digits for you are the date of re-manufacture not when the phone was initially made.

And the letter "k" instead of a number does indicate the phone was re-manufactured.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
DH: could you clip your quote of my first post? I'm going to add more info (iHackintosh tutorials, etc) when I have time, and I don't want people confused. Thanks!

Done !

By the way, what app. did you use to make the flow chart. I like the rounded designs and soft corners.

Attachments

• flowchart.png
    flowchart.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 4,405

iFalcon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Answer no.

So far, all the remanufactured phones we have seen/heard about still have the old bootrom.

The 3rd, 4th & 5th digits for you are the date of re-manufacture not when the phone was initially made.

Thanks!

iFalcon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Well, I'm really stumped by this. i am trying this on windows.

Everything seems well:
1. phone is in recovery mode.
2. begins to download data. i see the disk icon.
3. it then moves to the pawnapple.
4. reboots. stays on the apple with the flower like system under the apple. bad explanation.
5. reboots again and gets stuck on the screen with the apple and black background.

any ideas?

didn't have any issues with blackra1n.

atr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
Hopefully, I have a simple question...

I have a 3GS, wk 31, firmware 05.11.07, 3.1.2

I jb'ed using blackra1n, untethered. If I want to re-jailbreak using redsn0w 0.9 will I have to restore first? Or is it possible to re-jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9 and keep all your jb'apps, themes, etc. without having to re-load everything. I would like to get rid of blackra1n since I seem to be having some problems with the phone locking up, etc., every now and then. I have looked at the tutorials and it isn't clear, it seems to hint at not having to restore.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I jb'ed using blackra1n, untethered. If I want to re-jailbreak using redsn0w 0.9 will I have to restore first? Or is it possible to re-jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9 and keep all your jb'apps, themes, etc. without having to re-load everything. I would like to get rid of blackra1n since I seem to be having some problems with the phone locking up, etc., every now and then.

If you want to remove the issues you're having, you will have to do a restore before jailbreaking with Redsn0w, and should probably set up as new. I suggest you buy Pkgbackup; it will reinstall all your Cydia packages in one step after you've re-jailbroken.

atr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
If you want to remove the issues you're having, you will have to do a restore before jailbreaking with Redsn0w, and should probably set up as new. I suggest you buy Pkgbackup; it will reinstall all your Cydia packages in one step after you've re-jailbroken.

Thanks, wish I would have know this two days ago. I restored my phone and re-jailbroke to get rid of all the mods/re-worked configs/crap/etc. that had accumulated on it over the past two months, but I tried to use Pwnage 3.1.4 and had no luck, phone would just lock up in the middle of it. I finally gave up and used blackra1n again since I knew that would work. I wanted to use a new theme and spent the last two days setting it up with all the mods, etc. I will do a backup of everything and use Pkgbackup as you suggested this weekend and use redsn0w this time.

Thanks

** Edit - Man I'm getting old.. I just checked and I already have PKGBackup, just forgot to use it the other day, reinstalled everything one at a time, sigh

anubis27

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Well, I'm really stumped by this. i am trying this on windows.

Everything seems well:
1. phone is in recovery mode.
2. begins to download data. i see the disk icon.
3. it then moves to the pawnapple.
4. reboots. stays on the apple with the flower like system under the apple. bad explanation.
5. reboots again and gets stuck on the screen with the apple and black background.

any ideas?

didn't have any issues with blackra1n.

I am having the same issue, but with a non-refurb week 49 3GS, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

iFalcon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
I don't believe a tethered jailbreak is my issue as a tethered jailbreak isn't necessary for mine with blackra1n.

I've tried redsn0w about 3 times now and each time gets hung up on the apple logo.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I don't believe a tethered jailbreak is my issue as a tethered jailbreak isn't necessary for mine with blackra1n.

I've tried redsn0w about 3 times now and each time gets hung up on the apple logo.

How long did you wait? Mine took almost five minutes to reboot the first time.

iFalcon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
I waited 10-15 minutes. In fact, it sat on the apple screen for about 5 minutes, flashed, and then back to the same screen.

Are you using Windows 7?

Besides download redsn0w, is there anything else I need to download to make this work?

Thanks.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Are you using Windows 7?

No, no I most certainly do not. *shudders*

Have you tried running Redsn0w again and choosing the option just to boot your phone? I know you don't think you need a tethered jailbreak, but your symptoms are precisely those of a tethered jailbreak. Maybe if you could get past the boot screen once...

Also, which option did you choose when it asked you if you had a 3GS with the "fixed" bootloader? You might want to try again with the other option selected...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.