Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hi there people. I am considering the purchase of a 1.25Ghz, USB 2.0 eMac. I looked on everymac.com, but couldn't find the answer to my question:

Q) Was this the model which had any issues, specifically the capacitor/logic board issue?

The eMac is very cheap, which is why I am considering the purchase.

Thanks people!.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
actually nearly every emac and imac g5 produced between end of 2003 and end 2004 had potentially the bad cap issue , so the only ones not effected are the emac 1.42 models as they came out after the issue ,

but its not all that bad as its sound , most had been sorted by the repair program under extended warranty by apple back then ( ended 2008)
or died silent over the years , so there cant be many left with bad caps out there

but even if you are unlucky and catch one , the caps cost about 20 dollar and you can get them soldered in a good tv repairshop for a hour rate

and 2 of the bad caps are easy to spot (there are a lot more inside but these are the easy to spot ones ), open the emac on the bottom where you insert the ram and just below the bottom ram module are 2 of the most common bad caps

leaky-capacitors.jpg

so if you can spot the black ones with coppergold stripe and X on top and they look like the ones in the picture leave it, even if the eMac is still fully working its only a matter of time before it stops working

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
Hi there people. I am considering the purchase of a 1.25Ghz, USB 2.0 eMac. I looked on everymac.com, but couldn't find the answer to my question:

Q) Was this the model which had any issues, specifically the capacitor/logic board issue?

The eMac is very cheap, which is why I am considering the purchase.

Thanks people!.

The 1.25 ghz model was the one with the bad capacitors but i wouldn't worry about it too much. Though if you are you could just go with the 1.42 ghz model which didn't have the problem. In fact if you want a 1.42 i might just have a direct link (if your not opposed to eBay). Emac FTW!:apple:

Patmn

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2009
Mississauga, ON
I've got the 1.25 GHZ eMac which I bought directly from Apple in early 2005 and have had no problems whatsover with the capacitors. What exactly happens when they fail anyhow? Are there any early warning signs?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the 2005 models are not effected , but if the caps start leaking or bulging , the eMac will start to play up , sudden freezing , screen goes black ,sudden switch off , you will notice it when the caps are failing

here a list of people with various symtoms scroll right down
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/emac/topic4116.html

these bad cap issue is the reason why a lot of people dont even consider a eMac from around 2004 , ok to be honest it was one reason for me to buy a 1.42 model from the last batch from 2006 , but not the only reason i was more interested in the better graphic card (64mb instead of 32mb)inside the 1.42 model , its a shame really ,as the1.25 eMacs are really good computers , and apple did under extended warranty changed the boards on them and quiet a few ebay sellers check their eMacs for bad caps before selling them
but best is as sad as it is to leave a maybe good deal , to look inside the flap from the optical drive , there is the spec list how it was shipped from apple like "1.25 /512/80/sd" and above the year it was made (2005)so if you are not sure if the bad cap issue was looked after leave the 2004 ones alone :(

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
Are there any early warning signs?

Like it was said earlier, the caps inside the ram compartment on the bottom are usually the first ones to go. You would see them grow in size or bulge. But you would notice because the performance of your machine would be effected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.