Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I would like to replace my '07 MBP but I need the larger size of the screen and keyboard area as my hands are too large for the current air. Anyone think it's possible soon?

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Once you start making the Air bigger it will stop being the product it is and just become another MacBook. Maybe they should increase the resolution of the 13 inch display. Doesn't help you with your request, why not still with the same product line and get a new MBP?

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Honestly, weight and thinness- If they put a 15.4" screen on the air, sure it would go up in weight a bit, but without the optical drive, it would be just as thin as the current air. I don't know, it would be just what i want i guess.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
I'm guessing we won't see much of an expansion of the air line, especially given the large number that seem stuck in the refurb store (indicating a lack of broad demand).

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
I don't think it's ever going to happen. First of all, the Air product line is threatened by the iPad, which, if it really takes off, will probably take away a large portion of the Air's intended market (people wanting light computing in an ultraportable package). Second, the Air is already criticized for having a large footprint, so it seems unlikely that this complaint would be addressed by going in the opposite direction of what (most) people want.

Unfortunately, it seems like your only 15" option is a MBP. I love mine, though I certainly wouldn't complain if it were lighter.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I believe within five years ALL Mac notebooks will model the current MBA. If Apple can definitely squash the demand for BluRay, no optical drive will be necessary ever again. Anything that is too big for download will be sold on flash drives that connect via USB or LightPeak (eventually). It really makes no sense to sell big packages with disks in them anyways... I figure other software makers will start this transition soon, and within five years nothing will be on a disk except BluRay video. Apple certainly wants to remove optical drives, but right now professionals are reluctant.

I think a larger display MBA is already in demand. Also, when actually considering the footprint of the MBA, it doesn't take much more space to fit a 14" to 15" display. Remove the bezel completely, and we're set. A 3.5lb 14"+ MBA would sell. Consumers and non-graphics professionals want 15" of viewable space too. We definitely want more screen real estate.

Honestly, right now I would be completely happy with a 14" display in the same MBA with a 1600x900 resolution. I want that really bad, and I wish I had a direct red phone to Jobs himself to make our case for it!

I do think the next MBA and MBP will have HD display options.

Bottom line, your 15" MBA isn't too far off even if it's not called an MBA.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
...keyboard area as my hands are too large for the current air.

Macbooks of all types will continue to get thinner... that's the nature of the beast... but I don't think you'll see a 15" Macbook branded as "Air."

That said, the Macbook Pro and the Macbook Air have the same size keyboard don't they? If you have problems with the Air, you'll have problems on all Apple notebooks.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
All of Apple's physical keyboards are the same size, so if you're uncomfortable with the Air's keyboard, you'll have to look to other companies for something better suited to you.

That said, I doubt the Air will get any bigger, as most agree that it's too big already. That screen bezel is huge! If they could shave off at least an inch in width and half an inch in depth it would be incredible. Personally, I wouldn't mind the addition of an 11.6" model with the general footprint of the old 12" PowerBook, where the keyboard went to the very edge.

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
The MBA and MBP keyboards are the same part.

As for the screen, laptops are overwhelmingly trending smaller, not bigger. While I continue to hold out hope for a resolution bump for the MBA and 13" MBP, there is no way they will grow physically bigger.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
I don't think it's ever going to happen. First of all, the Air product line is threatened by the iPad, which, if it really takes off, will probably take away a large portion of the Air's intended market (people wanting light computing in an ultraportable package). Second, the Air is already criticized for having a large footprint, so it seems unlikely that this complaint would be addressed by going in the opposite direction of what (most) people want.

Unfortunately, it seems like your only 15" option is a MBP. I love mine, though I certainly wouldn't complain if it were lighter.

The only problem with that is the MBA and iPad are geared toward completely different audiences. If the iPad was running Snow Leopard then I'd have to agree with you, but its not and is running the iphone OS. The iPad can't take away from the MBA simply because it just doesn't compare and can't be used as a full fledged laptop like the MBA can. The iPad seems geared toward the Netbook/eReader/iPod Touch audience which is not at all what the MBA is after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.