Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:11 AM   #1
markojug
macrumors regular

Unlock iPhone Canada

Hi

I am looking to buy an iPhone, on Rogers, from a friend. I have a Bell sim card and I was wondering if I unlocked the iPhone, can I use the Bell sim?

Thanks
markojug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:39 AM   #2
g2tegg
macrumors member

Now that the iPhone is available through Bell and Telus it should work. Give it a shot.
g2tegg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:45 AM   #3
cjhunter
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markojug View Post
Hi

I am looking to buy an iPhone, on Rogers, from a friend. I have a Bell sim card and I was wondering if I unlocked the iPhone, can I use the Bell sim?

Thanks
Please let us know what happens. I have a Telus iPhone and am very curious as to whether it can use other SIM cards. Google hasn't been very informative.
cjhunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000

From what I have read, your phone will be locked to Rogers. You can solve this by jailbreaking and unlocking the phone, which is easy enough.
Moi un Mouton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 05:00 PM   #5
maxim.iphone
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moi un Mouton View Post
From what I have read, your phone will be locked to Rogers. You can solve this by jailbreaking and unlocking the phone, which is easy enough.
You do not have to jailbreak your device to unlock it. Search the forum for unlock without jailbreaking instructions. That should help.

Also, nearly every carrier outside of the United States of America that offers the iPhone as a device under contract is either owned by AT&T (like Bell or Bell South) or has a contract with Apple like AT&T has which can exclude many carriers using GSM/GPRS/UMTS technologies. However, an unlocked iPhone is compatible with only GSM/GPRS/UMTS technology so goto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code to find your carrier and make sure that the network is compatible.
maxim.iphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:41 PM   #6
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim.iphone View Post
You do not have to jailbreak your device to unlock it. Search the forum for unlock without jailbreaking instructions. That should help.
Hello ! Outside of a factory unlock, you have to jailbreak a phone BEFORE you can unlock it.

maxim.iphone is not correct.

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:06 AM   #7
g2tegg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim.iphone View Post

Also, nearly every carrier outside of the United States of America that offers the iPhone as a device under contract is either owned by AT&T (like Bell or Bell South) or has a contract with Apple like AT&T has which can exclude many carriers using GSM/GPRS/UMTS technologies. However, an unlocked iPhone is compatible with only GSM/GPRS/UMTS technology so goto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code to find your carrier and make sure that the network is compatible.
Bell, Telus, and Rogers are owned by AT&T? Ummmm no.
g2tegg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks