Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1
markojug
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In A House, Ontario, Canada
Unlock iPhone Canada

Hi

I am looking to buy an iPhone, on Rogers, from a friend. I have a Bell sim card and I was wondering if I unlocked the iPhone, can I use the Bell sim?

Thanks
markojug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:39 AM   #2
g2tegg
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Now that the iPhone is available through Bell and Telus it should work. Give it a shot.
g2tegg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3
cjhunter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojug View Post
Hi

I am looking to buy an iPhone, on Rogers, from a friend. I have a Bell sim card and I was wondering if I unlocked the iPhone, can I use the Bell sim?

Thanks
Please let us know what happens. I have a Telus iPhone and am very curious as to whether it can use other SIM cards. Google hasn't been very informative.
cjhunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bracknell UK
From what I have read, your phone will be locked to Rogers. You can solve this by jailbreaking and unlocking the phone, which is easy enough.
Moi un Mouton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 04:00 PM   #5
maxim.iphone
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moi un Mouton View Post
From what I have read, your phone will be locked to Rogers. You can solve this by jailbreaking and unlocking the phone, which is easy enough.
You do not have to jailbreak your device to unlock it. Search the forum for unlock without jailbreaking instructions. That should help.

Also, nearly every carrier outside of the United States of America that offers the iPhone as a device under contract is either owned by AT&T (like Bell or Bell South) or has a contract with Apple like AT&T has which can exclude many carriers using GSM/GPRS/UMTS technologies. However, an unlocked iPhone is compatible with only GSM/GPRS/UMTS technology so goto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code to find your carrier and make sure that the network is compatible.
maxim.iphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 06:41 PM   #6
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim.iphone View Post
You do not have to jailbreak your device to unlock it. Search the forum for unlock without jailbreaking instructions. That should help.
Hello ! Outside of a factory unlock, you have to jailbreak a phone BEFORE you can unlock it.

maxim.iphone is not correct.
__________________
Two iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here Jailbreak/Unlock Chart
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:06 AM   #7
g2tegg
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim.iphone View Post

Also, nearly every carrier outside of the United States of America that offers the iPhone as a device under contract is either owned by AT&T (like Bell or Bell South) or has a contract with Apple like AT&T has which can exclude many carriers using GSM/GPRS/UMTS technologies. However, an unlocked iPhone is compatible with only GSM/GPRS/UMTS technology so goto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code to find your carrier and make sure that the network is compatible.
Bell, Telus, and Rogers are owned by AT&T? Ummmm no.
g2tegg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
unlocked iPhones in Canadian Apple Stores SeanChandler iPhone 8 Aug 13, 2012 10:05 AM
How to restore jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 and keep unlock/jailbreak IbanezBoy67 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 18 Jun 19, 2012 06:54 PM
is it ok to restore my unlocked iphone 3g? & no pushnotifications/unlocked iphone? poohbear19 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 5 Dec 10, 2010 07:55 PM
noobie need help on unlocking iphone 3g Origins Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 16 Nov 16, 2010 09:42 AM
Unlocked IPhone 4 on 4.0.1 to 4.1? cubiewong Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 8 Nov 9, 2010 09:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC